Ar3a Midrange issues...

Mexicomike

Guest matty g

Those Ampex machines are darn near bullet-proof. I had an AG-350 that took a tremendous amount of abuse and never gave up. Finaly sold/traded for a newer Teac 6300. They are now my favorite tape machines. With a great playback system (built around AR3a's) there's just nothing that sounds as good as a reel to reel machine (provided it's used at 7.5 IPS or higher). Just my opinion, but I'd rather listen to open reel or properly mastered vinyl than most digital sources - especially with accoustic suspension loudspeakers of the 3a's caliber. I still record vinyl on to reels so as not to wear the records out....sometimes burn 'em onto a cd, for the car.

Hope your midrange issues work out to your liking - 3a's are worth the trouble!

Matt

Roy has already sent me a replacement so it won't be long until the PROPER midrange is in the speaker. and I have to admit than John O has convinced me to buy some Caps...

And that Ampex will soon be in the system. Now I suppose I should find an AR amp somewhere. I had one in 70-71 but it failed twice though it was replaced by AR at no charge. But it's the one AR product from that era that I have no liking for. I gave it away within a year of buying it. So the CJ preamp and Moscode 600 will continue in their role.

Archived