AR22

Guest infamone

Guest infamone

Hi all. I'm new to this and need help about a pair of AR22 (see picture). Can anyone please tell me where to find any info (I saw the 1971 AR brochure but could not fond a match)? What do you think is worth less to spend for this pair? Thanks so much, M.

post-102535-1182258025.jpg

This looks to be an overseas equivalent of the Connoisseur Model 20, an 8" 2-way produced in the US in the 1985-87 time frame.

This was an excellent compact speaker with a real wood veneered cabinet. High Fidelity magazine gave it an absolutely sensational review when it came out, but I lost that issue to some water in my basement about a 15 years ago.

The Connoisseur Series brochure is in the Library, and you can look up the specs there.

Steve F.

As can be seen, internet auction prices fluctuate wildly—you may pay, say, £10, or even £100 (at a guess!).

Personally, if I had a desire for AR speakers of approximately the same form factor, I'd find some AR18s or perhaps the earlier AR-7x; I prefer the sound produced by the cone tweeter used in these models (though replacement drivers are relatively scarce).

Regarding the speakers in your photograph, an AR Products leaflet (from the UK, mid-1980s) gives the following description:

AR 22BX

AR's 1" soft-dome, liquid-cooled tweeter and 8" polypropylene woofer/midrange combine to give 88dB sensitivity, and amp suitability of 10 to 100W. Superbly natural music.

Hope that helps.

Robert_S

Guest infamone

Thanks a lot guys, great help. I'm about to buy them for 60 euros here in italy. As you may noticed they need to be reconed (50 euros). I hope I made a good deal, I'll let you know! M.

Guest infamone

Hi again, just to make a follow-up. Speakers arrived yesterday. Robert, you were right tey are AR22 BX. Drivers seems to be original, marked AR. Cabinets are in good condition but these are nor wood or MDF cabinets but made of particle board I think (I can post pictures if someone is interested). Now I don't know if the deal was good, considering that woofers need to be reconed. Thanks again, M.

Archived