You Just Gotta Try this

Guest rac43

Guest rac43

Felt compelled to post this after listing to my system. Have a set of AR3s, Onkyo tx8515 and Technics CD Deck. Just go a copy of Ravel's Bolero by a big symphony orchestra and man, these AR3s have given me goosebumps and misted my eyes. Woofers made the glass's on a table vibrate. NO speaker will ever outdo an AR and personally for me, after all the 3as and 5s and 9s, you just can't beat a set of the old 3s. Get a copy of Ravel's Bolero and prepair for a thrill.

>NO speaker will

>ever outdo an AR and personally for me, after all the 3as and

>5s and 9s, you just can't beat a set of the old 3s.

Query: to which AR-3a design are you making comparison? Early or late?

The first ~38,000 of ~100,000 AR-3a used the same cloth-surround, Anico-magnet woofer as the AR-3. It has a lower Fs (I've measured 11-13 Hz) than the ceramic-magnet woofer (Fs about 18-19 Hz for the Masonite ring units). I have measured Fc of 36 Hz in an AR-3, a -3a, or one of the -3a variants using these great cloth surround drivers. Their bass is hard to beat!

When reading information about specs, sonic character, frequency response, and so on for the AR-3a, I have concluded that references are implicitly being made to its later ceramic woofer version. ... Interesting. I agree, the 3 is an excellent speaker.

Archived