Square Deal Radio & Television and John Moore Audio

Guest Barrydor

Guest Barrydor

Does anyone here remember Square Deal Radio & Television, an AR dealer in Patchogue on Long Island in New York in the 70s and 80s?

Does anyone here remember John Moore Audio, a small speaker manufacturer based in Freeport on Long Island in New York in the 70s?

Barrydor

I bought my first "real" stereo from Square Deal when it was a small storefront on Main Street in Patchogue, in the late 60s..... a used Dynaco PAS3x and Stereo 70. When they moved to much larger quarters on Waverly Ave. in the early 70's, I bought a few things, but the new larger quarters didn't have the same "feel." They've been gone now for about 10 years or so.

Guest Barrydor

I bought my AR9 speakers at the Waverly Avenue store in 1978. When I showed up with the cash, they reneged on the price thay had quoted me and left me standing in the snow with my new speakers. I often found it ironic that one of the finest pieces of hi fi gear I ever purchased was such a miserable experience

From that point forward, I shopped at Designatron Stereo in Setauket. The people there were wonderful and knowledgeable. I became a regular customer who purchased and traded many pieces of equipment over the years. I never set foot in Square Deal again

A couple of years ago when I was visiting Long Island, I noticed they were gone. I was not surprised

Barry

>From that point forward, I shopped at Designatron Stereo in

>Setauket. The people there were wonderful and knowledgeable. I

>became a regular customer who purchased and traded many pieces

>of equipment over the years.

>Barry

I purchased my KLH Model 18 tuner at Designatron back in 1970 or so. I also heard a pair of KLH Model Nine electrostatics that, to this day, stand out as the best speakers I ever heard. Designatron never lost that "homey" feel. Sadly, like just about every "stereo store' of that era, they are gone. :(

Guest tenrec

>Does anyone here remember Square Deal Radio & Television,

>an AR dealer in Patchogue on Long Island in New York in the

>70s and 80s?

I bought a pair of AR-70s from them in 1977, along with a Hitachi receiver, an Aiwa cassette deck, and an AR-77XB turntable. They were VERY big on auditioning the AR turntable by rapping on the plinth while music was playing, and demonstrating the absence of the sound conducting into the system. I went in wanting to buy a semi-automatic Technics turntable, but their demonstration of the superior sound of the AR convinced me.

The Hitachi receiver is still in use, as is the turntable, but the AR-70s died a long time ago, as did the Aiwa.

Square Deal was very patient in terms of exchanges. A friend of mine eventually bought a similar system from them. I had no idea that they were no longer in business.

Archived