AR 2a driver replacement

JoeAtlas

Hi,

I am new to the forum but not new to vintage audio. I have a pair of Ar 91's that I absolutely love and was just given a free pair of Ar 2a's from the original owner who purchased them in 1961. I set them up the other night with an extra Marantz 2235b I have and was blown away by the warm full sound! It took me a while to realize that one of the woofers was not working and they still sounded great.

After reading some of the threads I slowly and successfully took off the front grill, starting with all of the staples and easing up the glue. I hit all of the pots and connections with Caig's Deoxit5 and they all work fine. Upon gently pushing the cone in there is some grating sound. Do you think the coil could be shot? If so, what suggestions do you have to replace or rebuild?

Regards,

Joe

Guest hilltroll67

Congratulations on the successful grille removal; it ain't easy.

The pots aren't connected to the woofer anyway, so you can zero in on it. Check the resistance across the speaker terminals. I don't own a 2a, but the resistance ought to be somewhere between 4 and 7 ohms (right oldtimers?). If that is good maybe it's the spider that has gone south.

Bob

was just given a free pair of Ar 2a's from the original owner who purchased them in 1961. I set them up the other night with an extra

>Marantz 2235b I have and was blown away by the warm full

>sound! It took me a while to realize that one of the woofers

>was not working and they still sounded great.

> After reading some of the threads I slowly and successfully

>took off the front grill, starting with all of the staples and

>easing up the glue. I hit all of the pots and connections with

>Caig's Deoxit5 and they all work fine.

Upon gently pushing the cone in there is some grating sound.

Do you think the coil could be shot? If so, what suggestions do you have to replace or rebuild?

> Regards,

> Joe

Hi Joe;

What you have described is a rubbing woofer voice coil.

I would suggest referring that woofer to a service tech who is familiar with re-coning to see if that cone is salvageable.

If the tech suggests re-coning, pass on that idea, look to ebay of other source for a used woofer.

Thank you for your replies. I suspected that the voice coil could be the culprit. I have 2 woofers from my AR 91's that need new foam surrounds. I thought I would stop by to see Bill LeGall at Millersound for those and have him take a look at the Ar 2a woofer. I hear he can fix anything.

Joe

Archived