Info on AR9LS All Wood, not LSi

stampy986

Good evening everyone,  I am looking for any info yall might have on a pair of AR9LS that are all wood veneer.  That are not LSi's and I have searched some forum posts but the closest match I could find were an Anniversary pair which these don't match up too.   I found them locally from a guy who didn't know much about them other than his father purchased them when on military base in either Guam or Greece.  Were the overseas versions all wood veneer with none of the black vinyl?   They are in rough shape and not sure they can be fully restored but I will probably try.  I haven't taken them apart yet so not sure if the drives are original or ar replacements.     

On a side note in the last 6 months I have restored 2 Ar9 sets and 1 Ar9ls set that I did the LSi upgrade to.  I followed a lot information on this site and did all the cap upgrades per some users on here.  I will make a separate post on those restores.    Thank for the information!

20240924_223235.jpg

20240924_223243.jpg

20240924_223002.jpg

20240924_223014.jpg

20240924_223038.jpg

Interesting find. Your manual has the English address so presumably these were made there. I have a pair of LSi’s made at the English factory. Yours have LS trim around the woofers. My English LSi’s have inset trim on the lip of the woofer (they had this trim anyway before most of them were destroyed by the previous owner). Also, your 12” woofer looks like an American-made AR part. Mine have Japanese Tonegen drivers that the English factory seems to have switched to during the LSi run. 

Yes it definitely is an interesting find.  I will pull them apart soon and find out what drivers are in them and post it.   I'll keep this updated with my progress as I try to restore them.  I personally have not found or seen anyone posting an Ar9LS that is wood veneer like this that are not Lsi.  I do have trim rings for the woofers that came with the speakers.