AR-6 info ?

Andy

The AR-6 was introduced in late 1971 as a step-up from the AR-4x.

In a September 2005 post I said:

“The AR-6 was a remarkably good speaker, but it suffered from a sales/marketing standpoint of occupying a somewhat tenuous position in AR’s lineup. Much like the AR-5 being caught between the 2ax and 3a at the higher end of the line, so was the AR-6 caught between the 4x (later 7) and 2ax at the lower end of the line. The 6 never achieved the sales popularity of the 4x, 7, or 2ax.

But this isn’t to say that the 6 was anything less than one heckuva speaker. In fact, the critical acclaim showered on the 6 was nothing less than amazing. High Fidelity said, “…the AR-6 responds almost like an amplifier…a really terrific performer. “ Julian Hirsch said in Stereo Review that the AR-6 sounded like the 5 to an “amazing degree” with almost “identical” bass response.

Not only was the 6’s woofer an outstanding example of engineering, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the then-new 1½” cone tweeter (later changed in designation only to 1 ¼”) was such an excellent unit that a ‘close competitor’ of AR wanted to approach them about the possibility of manufacturing it for themselves under license. It’s noteworthy that that tweeter, introduced with the AR-6 in 1971, continued in AR’s line essentially unchanged (except for the addition of ferrofluid) until the late 1980’s in the Bxi series.

I have said that I consider the 2ax to be the best performance/dollar model of the original Classic Series, but I wouldn’t argue too much with someone who said it was the AR-6, especially at the original pricing of $72/81 ea. unfinished/finished.

Steve F.

Hi there;

I listened to the AR-6 only once in a store demo.

I was amazed at it's larger than life output.

Here on this site I've read that the bass was almost, but not quite, as good as the 10" woofer.

That is one really fine compliment and to read here, from Steve, that the tweeter was really special, means you got one heck of a deal, my friend.

The price doesn't get much better either.

>The AR-6 was introduced in late 1971 as a step-up from the

>AR-4x.

>

>In a September 2005 post I said:

>

>“The AR-6 was a remarkably good speaker, but it suffered from

>a sales/marketing standpoint of occupying a somewhat tenuous

>position in AR’s lineup. Much like the AR-5 being caught

>between the 2ax and 3a at the higher end of the line, so was

>the AR-6 caught between the 4x (later 7) and 2ax at the lower

>end of the line. The 6 never achieved the sales popularity of

>the 4x, 7, or 2ax.

>

>But this isn’t to say that the 6 was anything less than one

>heckuva speaker. In fact, the critical acclaim showered on the

>6 was nothing less than amazing. High Fidelity said, “…the

>AR-6 responds almost like an amplifier…a really terrific

>performer. “ Julian Hirsch said in Stereo Review that the AR-6

>sounded like the 5 to an “amazing degree” with almost

>“identical” bass response.

>

>Not only was the 6’s woofer an outstanding example of

>engineering, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the

>then-new 1½” cone tweeter (later changed in designation only

>to 1 ¼”) was such an excellent unit that a ‘close competitor’

>of AR wanted to approach them about the possibility of

>manufacturing it for themselves under license. It’s noteworthy

>that that tweeter, introduced with the AR-6 in 1971, continued

>in AR’s line essentially unchanged (except for the addition of

>ferrofluid) until the late 1980’s in the Bxi series.

>

>I have said that I consider the 2ax to be the best

>performance/dollar model of the original Classic Series, but I

>wouldn’t argue too much with someone who said it was the AR-6,

>especially at the original pricing of $72/81 ea.

>unfinished/finished.

>

>Steve F.

>

Great post, Steve F!

Actually, the AR-6 was introduced in October, 1970 in New York, and was in the December 1970 Dealer Price List. It was available in Oiled Walnut for $81.00 each and in Unfinished Pine (quite rare) for $72.00 each.

Throughout 1971 and 1972 audio magazines lined up to publish reviews and flattering test reports on the AR-6; for example, Larry Zide, a well-respected audio reviewer and critic for *The American Record Guide,* said in a March 1971 review of the AR-6: “In any case, let me conclude by stating that I am unable to get over the sheer quality represented by the AR-6. To put my wonderment in perspective, perhaps the most telling thing I could add is that I never expected to be saying of any speaker in this price range that it deserves only the finest possible associated components. The AR-6 does, and that says a great deal about this product.” *Audio* magazine said, “After listening to the AR-6 on and off during a three-week period and comparing it to its biggest brother, the AR-3a, we had no reason to change our initial high opinion of it. We predict that the AR-6 will supplant the AR-4x on the best-seller list and probably establish itself as the standard for other loudspeakers in the under-$100.00 class.” *High Fidelity* magazine’s review said, “…a really terrific performer. The AR-6 has a clean, uncolored, well-balanced response that delivers some of the most natural musical sound yet heard from anything in its size/price class, and which indeed rivals that heard from some speakers costing significantly more.” Julian Hirsch of Hirsch-Houck Labs in *Stereo Review* said, “…out-performed a number of considerably larger and far more expensive systems that we have tested in the same way…. We don’t know of many speakers with as good a balance in overall response, and nothing in its size or price class has as good a bass end.”

One of the unique features of the original AR-6 was a woofer with an unusually long voice-coil overhang, reportedly allowing linear excursions of nearly 1-inch. Apparently this woofer (only the very earliest AR-6 models) was changed to a more conventional excursion capability soon after production began. Because the fc was the same as the AR-2ax and AR-5, the 8-inch woofer needed to have long excursion capability in order to keep distortion low -- a hallmark of all AR woofers.

The AR-6 is therefore a great little speaker, but it did not enjoy the acclaim as many of the other AR milestone designs.

--Tom Tyson

Hi there;

>I was amazed at it's larger than life output.

I was thinking about this comment that I made earlier while I was out.

My comparison now would be that the sound seamed to come from an enclosure closer to the size of a Dynaco A-50, rather than it's dinkier size, if I had closed my eyes while listening to them.

I would have expected the speaker to be of a larger stature and price range.

That demo was a fast paced vocal, not rock, not classical, which seemed to have lot's of presence.

By that, I mean, the sound seemed more forward of the cabinet than I was used to with the AR-4X or AR-3A's, not that this was a bad thing, just more towards the listener.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest matty g

Hi Andy;

Just heard that a pair of AR6's went for around $300 on Ebay. Not that Ebay can be used as an accurate price guide, but they must be quite impressive to command that kind of money. Very nice find - hold on to 'em!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SherwoodFool

>Hi Andy;

>

>Just heard that a pair of AR6's went for around $300 on Ebay.

>Not that Ebay can be used as an accurate price guide, but they

>must be quite impressive to command that kind of money. Very

>nice find - hold on to 'em!

>

>Matt

A new pair is on EBay now for 99 bucks + 30S/H.

SherwoodFool

>A new pair is on EBay now for 99 bucks + 30S/H.

>

>SherwoodFool

I saw those, but unfortunately, if you look closely, while the cartons are AR6 cartons, the speakers that are shown have KLH badges on them. I e-mailed the person regarding this, but haven't heard back yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AR-6-Acoustic-Suspensi...1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Just heard back.......here's his response:

"Hey...i just checked to speakers...you are right they are KLH speakers for some reason i thought they were AR-6 speakers...The speakers are being sold in those boxes...Sorry for the confusion"

I hope he changes the ad or somebody is gonna be mighty upset when they open those AR-6 cartons!x(

Hi Bob;

Thank you for the heads up.

At least the seller posted your question.

That is at least a positive reply to you and hopefully bidders read and head.

A pair of AR-6 tweeters only went for over $70.00, to Asia, the other day on ebay.

I see a tendancy for large bids out of Korea, for example, must be lots of disposible income over there.

You're welcome, Vern. I was watching a pair of AR6's on eBay this past week. They garnered one bid for most of the time at auction. I forgot to be there at the end...........they went for $49 for the pair....with that lone bidder winning them! I guess bargains can still be found. :D

Archived