re: AR Classic 30

Guest trailer_trash

Guest trailer_trash

A pair of Acoustic Research Classic 30 speakers are for sale in the area and I don't know what would be considered a "fair" price for them.

There isn't a scratch, a dent or flaw of any kind on them that I can find.

I've searched these forums and old Ebay auctions, but no information on their value.

I would very much appreciate someone posting a price range for the AR Classic 30.

Thanks.

Guest trailer_trash

>Hi there;

>

>According to the AR-Chronological order list in the library,

>1978 - 82 and $900.00 retail.

All the info. I needed right under my nose. Sheesh.

Vern, thanks for doing my homework.

Hi there;

You are very welcome.

I downloaded that file months ago and I am trying, certainly not every day or week, to fill in the missing blanks of some of the classics.

In my mind I have slightly modified the layout.

I did the same for the KLH file, but, I am not the same fan of KLH as I am of AR.

There is missing information that I am trying to gather as well.

Advent will be another one in the distant future.

There were a few missing models, and with my memory going, I do what I can do, when I'm up to it.

There is some wonderful members here, enjoy your visits.

The AR Classic 30 speakers were made in 1992 and list for $2300 a pair. It was the stepping stone before AR designed and manufactured its most expensive speakers, the AR Limited 3 speaker system, listed for $7000 a set in 1993. Both are great sounding speakers and unique designs in their own ways. But like the AR TSW ( Titanium Solid Wood ) series, their sounding characteristic just can not be compared to the original AR9/AR-11 or to the older AR-LST/AR-3a speakers!

Minh Luong

Hi Minh;

Thank you very much for correcting me.

I just went back to the AR-chron list again, a few minutes ago.

I see from your information that this was a later AR speaker, post 1986, and that the list does not include it.

There is more missing than I realized.

I was only thinking of the missing classics, not Classic with a capitol C, which I know nothing about.

Thank you very much again, Minh.

It is always nice to see you writing here again, with your wealth of knowledge.

Hi Vern

No need to thank me for anything. Whenever I can think of something that may help to clear the smoke, I don¡¯t mind to speak out. I was not trying to correct you or step on your toes and I am glad you didn¡¯t take it that way. This is the reason why I post most of the infomation I can think of under my own roof of the "8 Ohms tweeter, Pots or L-Pads, AR-3a Limited" post.

Take Care,

Minh Luong

30 or Classic 30? Easy mistake to make.

I had sent Mark the Classic lit a few years ago, and it can be found here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/ar/Clas...sic_Limited.htm

The Classic 30 was quite a nice speaker. Very articulate low end, very slighly lean overall tonal balance (at least compared to a 90 or 9), focused vertical imagaing due to MTM arrangement with low tweeter x-o. In overall design philosophy, it followed the audiophile convention of the '90's. That is not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

I remember talking to one of the design engineers on that project (after he'd left AR and was at another company), and he said that they had a lot of trouble early on with shipping damage, of all things. The Classics had cabs that tapered narrower from back to front, and also down on the top panel from back to front. Devising adequate packaging proved tricky.

This series (along with the Limiteds) was AR's last hurrah in Norwood MA. They were excellent performers but total marketplace flops, and AR pulled up their NE roots and fled to CA shortly thereafter.

I actually have a much higher opinion of the Classics than the TSW's, and would consider a nice pair of 30's to be quite a find.

Steve F.

Guest trailer_trash

>The Classic 30 .....Very articulate low

>end, very slighly lean overall tonal balance ....focused vertical imagaing

>The Classics had cabs that tapered narrower from back to front, and >also down on the top panel from back to front.

>I actually have a much higher opinion of the Classics than the

>TSW's, and would consider a nice pair of 30's to be quite a

>find.

>

>Steve F.

That's the correct description. Would $900 be the upper, middle or lower end of for the pair (no flaws that I can find; no scratches, dents, corners are sharp, grille is fine)?

Thank you for the postings regarding info. on AR Classic 30's.

TT--

I am not a participant in the bidding/buying used speaker market, so I don't keep track of pricing trends. For 13 year-old speakers that were never a big commercial hit, I'd say that $900.00 is probably towards the upper end of the market value of those speakers. But I'm not the expert on these matters.

A more relevant way to evaluate the situation, perhaps, is to ask yourself if $900.00 could buy you speakers that you'd enjoy more than the Classic 30's. That's really the operative question.

If they're really in pristine condition, if you are taken with their sound, if you like the way they look, then you've probably answered it for yourself.

Steve F.

Ken--

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that JB did the Classic 30's; I know he did the Limited 3's, which were in the same time period.

DC was also involved with the Classics, and DC was also involved with the HI Series that came just before the Classics. DC told me about the Classic's shipping issues.

Steve F.

Guest trailer_trash

>TT--

>

....For 13

>year-old speakers that were never a big commercial hit, I'd

>say that $900.00 is probably towards the upper end of the

>market value of those speakers.

>

>....

>ask yourself if $900.00 could buy you speakers that you'd

>enjoy more than the Classic 30's. That's really the operative

>question....

>

>Steve F.

Steve,

"Speakers that were never a big commercial hit...."

Good point.

I'm going with a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls (for the same price as the Classic 30s).

Thanks for the post.

TT

Archived