AR 3a

Guest dmass

Guest dmass

I have purchased a pair of 3a's and want to get optimum sound from them. They came wih no stands or risers. I dont have shelves. What is the best way to present these speakers? Right now they're on the floor and seem to sound a little "bass confused" (for lack of a better description). Also, I have heavy gauge wire. Is this a problem? I know it wasn't used when these speakers were made.

Guest Eunomians

Wow, you've got yourself some mighty fine speakers there!

The AR3a is 'boomy' if placed on the floor. It is a very good idea to place them on stands of some sort. I was actually lucky enough to get an original pair of matching walnut AR speaker stands (the 'criss-cross' 2 piece type). AR recommended that these speakers be lifted off of the floor for optimum sound quality. Now that I have them on stands, there is a huge sound difference. To say the very least, they sound perfect now :)

ar3aspeakerstandox2.png

ar3a2brr7.jpg

Hi there;

AR made a 12" high speaker cross stand back in the '60's and '70's for their larger speaker cabinets, not the AR-4 series, AR-6 or AR-7 for example.

This was their way of keeping the larger speakers off of the floor to lessen the over-exaggerated bass.

With all of the different speaker designs since, it may be an idea to re-design a stand.

If the speaker is used in the upright postion, then the midrange should be about ear level when you are sitting and listening.

Good luck, great speaker.

>I have purchased a pair of 3a's and want to get optimum sound

>from them. They came wih no stands or risers. I dont have

>shelves. What is the best way to present these speakers? Right

>now they're on the floor and seem to sound a little "bass

>confused" (for lack of a better description). Also, I

>have heavy gauge wire. Is this a problem? I know it wasn't

>used when these speakers were made.

If you have the room to sit far enough back from them, you could build a simple wooden stand that tilts the speaker back 15-20 degrees. This will also time-align the drivers (like many modern speakers do - Check Thiel's designs). That way you don't have to lift them off the floor a foot or two.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest dmass

Hey, thanks for the input and the pics. I think I'll try to design a pair of stands that sits about 6 inches off the floor in the rear and angles up at 12 degres to the front. Midrange should hit my face at sofa distance from the speakers. My little Naim Nait might not be enough to push the AR 3a's but I've got a Fisher 101 in the closet that I'll A/B.

Guest dmass

I'm going to use your advise. I presentlty have a Naim Nait ut I'm reading that more power is more bettr with these speakers. What do you think?

Archived