Janszen project - Anybody have early alnico AR3 woofers for sale?

Guest centaurus

Guest centaurus

hi all,

i recently bought a pair of really odd janszen speakers (those big funky ones that were on ebay a few weeks ago).

they have the 130 array inserted in the janszen electrodynamic speaker enclosure. the woofers and the baffle have been jerked off (for lack of a better term). some one drilled undersized ports in each baffle and had foam discs inserted in front of the voice coils. they removed the dust cover to do so. i assume it was all done in the quest for more bass. the foam weighted the woofer cone.

anyway, sort of hokey. i temporarily plugged baffles with socks and pulled the foam. the bass is pretty solid down to 40Hz and rolls off below 35Hz. i'm thinking of trying a pair of early AR3 woofers instead of the neshaminy 11" units. the nehsaminy units are even squared off the same as the AR3 wofoers, so it might be close to a "drop-in."

thanks,

Robby

1356.txt

post-101779-1150763244.jpg

>hi all,

>

>i recently bought a pair of really odd janszen speakers (those

>big funky ones that were on ebay a few weeks ago).

>

>they have the 130 array inserted in the janszen electrodynamic

>speaker enclosure. the woofers and the baffle have been jerked

>off (for lack of a better term). some one drilled undersized

>ports in each baffle and had foam discs inserted in front of

>the voice coils. they removed the dust cover to do so. i

>assume it was all done in the quest for more bass. the foam

>weighted the woofer cone.

>

>anyway, sort of hokey. i temporarily plugged baffles with

>socks and pulled the foam. the bass is pretty solid down to

>40Hz and rolls off below 35Hz. i'm thinking of trying a pair

>of early AR3 woofers instead of the neshaminy 11" units.

>the nehsaminy units are even squared off the same as the AR3

>wofoers, so it might be close to a "drop-in."

>

>thanks,

>Robby

Hi Robby;

Good buy on your speakers.

The solid sealed enclosure for a single AR 12" woofer would need to be the equal of the interior volume of an AR-1, AR-1X, AR-1W, AR-3 or AR-3A enclosure.

Heavily braced and insulated to equal standards of an original enclosure.

Maybe consider using the Janzsen's in the configuration of the original utility finish, laying it on it's side on an AR-3A, Janzsen sold these for that purpose as a separate item.

Others will follow with their advice.

Good luck.

Guest centaurus

Hi Vern,

i'm not fully understanding what you mean by laying the janszens on the side. you mean just the tweeter arrays or the whole speaker? did you see the attached pic of the speakers? these things are HUGE!

the cut-out for the woofer is curiously similar to the AR1/3 woofer. including the squared off edges. which is sort of funny considering the cabinet is so big, there's no reason to square off the edges. keep in mind the woofer enclosure is not as big as it seems. the enclosure ends where the 130 ESL arrays are. the 130's just slide into the top of the cabinet.

the AR woofer might just drop in. i've tried early AR2 woofers in my janszen Z-600 with awesome results. the woofer is pretty much a drop-in replacement. you have to stuff more fibreglass fill in to further dampen the AR woofer, but the bass extension is much improved once installed.

so, i figure, what the hay? try is on the Z-600s bigger brothers,

Robby

>Hi Vern,

>

>i'm not fully understanding what you mean by laying the

>janszens on the side. you mean just the tweeter arrays or the

>whole speaker? did you see the attached pic of the speakers?

>these things are HUGE!

The tweeter array can be removed and possibly angled into a model 1-30 configuration in it's own enclosure.

Laid on top of a AR-1, or 3 series enclosure, which is laid sideways as well, such as Tom Tysons AR/Janszen photo in our AR library.

Janszen did sell a painted black model, which resembles the tweeter only section of your enclosure.

>

>the cut-out for the woofer is curiously similar to the AR1/3

>woofer. including the squared off edges. which is sort of

>funny considering the cabinet is so big, there's no reason to

>square off the edges. keep in mind the woofer enclosure is not

>as big as it seems. the enclosure ends where the 130 ESL

>arrays are. the 130's just slide into the top of the cabinet.

>

>the AR woofer might just drop in.

Please re-read my previous comments for the critical enclosure for an AR 12" woofer.

You normally don't just plunk a driver into any cabinet and expect proper performance.

Not that it hasn't happened but, AR for one manufacturer, spent a lot of time and money developing their rigid systems.

i've tried early AR2 woofers

>in my janszen Z-600 with awesome results. the woofer is pretty

>much a drop-in replacement. you have to stuff more fibreglass

>fill in to further dampen the AR woofer, but the bass

>extension is much improved once installed.

>

>so, i figure, what the hay? try is on the Z-600s bigger

>brothers,

>

>Robby

The Absolute Sound has the Double Advent speaker review available, nice , clear copy and there is reference to Janszen's systems for your information and perusal.

It is also included in the large Advent library file of Advent speakers, though a poor copy for reading, but better than nothing.

If I remember correctly, the Janszen Z-960 was sort of a reference system way back in time.

I had the opportunity to drool over the 1-30's over a weekend, many years ago.

Crystal clear is all I remember, crystal clear. MMMMMMMM

Guest centaurus

thanks vern,

my speakers have the plain black array you speak of. it's called the 130-U. it slides into the spekaer cabinet.

i fully understand what you are talking about with regards to just plunking a woofer in a cabinet not meant for it. i was just as skeptical when a member on audioasylum told me to try the AR2 woofers in my janszen Z-600s, buti tried it and it sounds very good. so, if i can get some AR3 woofers at a fair price, there's really no harm in giving it a whirl. if it sucks, i just go back to the janszen woofers. here's what he said:

Replacing the Janszen woofer with an AR2 woofer will not get you 26hz as your closed box resonance, but you won't get the 40hz resonance with the Janszen woof. You will get a proportionately lower closed box resonance with the AR 2. As for mating with the electrostatic panels, don't worry about it. Janszen also sold tweeter only models; the model 65 (two panel) and the model 130 (four panel). Among the models of existing speakers that Janszen recommended were the AR 2's with their tweeter section disconnected.

Also concerning the mating of the electrostatic panels, if you are actually able to pull one of the Janszen woofers out of the box and plop it onto a table and put one of the AR 2 woofers on that same table and compare the two drivers side by side you will see that they have similar baskets, cones that are very close and identical Alnico V magnets. The big differences are the red ring surround of the Janszen and the dust caps. That's about it. Besides which, one of the remarkable characteristics of the electrostatic panels that you will recognise quickly is that they actually play lower than most other tweeters. So mating on the low end of their range is easy, particularly with the volume control.

>thanks vern,

>

>my speakers have the plain black array you speak of. it's

>called the 130-U. it slides into the spekaer cabinet.

>

>i fully understand what you are talking about with regards to

>just plunking a woofer in a cabinet not meant for it. i was

>just as skeptical when a member on audioasylum told me to try

>the AR2 woofers in my janszen Z-600s, buti tried it and it

>sounds very good. so, if i can get some AR3 woofers at a fair

>price, there's really no harm in giving it a whirl. if it

>sucks, i just go back to the janszen woofers. here's what he

>said:

>

> Replacing the Janszen woofer with an AR2 woofer will not get

>you 26hz as your closed box resonance, but you won't get the

>40hz resonance with the Janszen woof. You will get a

>proportionately lower closed box resonance with the AR 2. As

>for mating with the electrostatic panels, don't worry about

>it. Janszen also sold tweeter only models; the model 65 (two

>panel) and the model 130 (four panel). Among the models of

>existing speakers that Janszen recommended were the AR 2's

>with their tweeter section disconnected.

>

>Also concerning the mating of the electrostatic panels, if you

>are actually able to pull one of the Janszen woofers out of

>the box and plop it onto a table and put one of the AR 2

>woofers on that same table and compare the two drivers side by

>side you will see that they have similar baskets, cones that

>are very close and identical Alnico V magnets. The big

>differences are the red ring surround of the Janszen and the

>dust caps. That's about it. Besides which, one of the

>remarkable characteristics of the electrostatic panels that

>you will recognise quickly is that they actually play lower

>than most other tweeters. So mating on the low end of their

>range is easy, particularly with the volume control.

Hi again;

Ebay #9743180634 Janszen 130U is on until June 26th for those who may want to see the tweeter section only, naked.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest centaurus

dangit,

fell asleep before bidding on a pair of early clotch ar3a woofers. and in the bay area too :-(

so, bump. anybody have some early cloth ar3/3a woofers they wanna sell for a little experiment?

thanks,

Robby

Archived