Acoustic Research M6 woofers

Guest jman66

Guest jman66

Hi,

First off, didn't realize this site existed - glad it does!

I own a pair of M6's, now approaching nearly 14 years old, which

I've used on and off over that time. Speakers are now back in use

but I wonder how much life the foam surrounds on the woofers have?

Peering down into the columns, the foam appears to be intact but

looks aren't everything.

Question I have, are replacement woofers or foam surround replacement

kits available? Not too sure I'd want to tackle the foam replacement.

Or, it is time to retire these guys and move on?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

>Hi,

>

>First off, didn't realize this site existed - glad it does!

>

>I own a pair of M6's, now approaching nearly 14 years old,

>which

>I've used on and off over that time. Speakers are now back in

>use

>but I wonder how much life the foam surrounds on the woofers

>have?

>Peering down into the columns, the foam appears to be intact

>but

>looks aren't everything.

>

>Question I have, are replacement woofers or foam surround

>replacement

>kits available? Not too sure I'd want to tackle the foam

>replacement.

>Or, it is time to retire these guys and move on?

>

>Thanks!

>

Hi there;

The foam seems to survive about 7 - 15 years before needing replacement.

I am certainly not an expert.

I see that the foam either shows up a radial cracks or in my case all of a sudden there was chunks missing from the surrounds.

I do believe that the atmosphere that the drivers are in are more of a concern than we realize.

The ozone, greasy cooking, smoking, hot air or hot water heating, dry air or moist air, carbon dioxide from breathing or whatever, attacks and breaks down the Polyurethane surrounds.

Kits are available on the internet and quite likely in the larger cities available from service shops as well.

Here in Vancouver, I can buy the surrounds from $3.00 - $7.00 each plus glue, love and care is also needed.

My first one took me about 1 1/2 hour and the second one, once I knew what to do, took me about 10 minutes.

When I needed my first kit, I ran into a small obstacle, they were not available here for retail.

I mail ordered a kit from the US.

Now almost everyone here sell the surrounds.

My friend just told me his are coming from China.

We now seem to have a third party market of non-branded surrounds from un-disclosed sources.

If one was to ask us which ones to buy, we can say we bought from so and so, but maybe they use different sources depending on the market.

Unless your voice coils are burnt or open, try to re-foam yourself if you feel like it.

It is not as daunting a task as it first appears.

With most all classic speakers, you do not need to remove the domes even.

The reason I say that is, the voice coil gap is larger than with say, Altec or JBL which require shim kits to center the voice coil.

Your cost, should you decide to have others do it for you, will range from you carrying in just the raw driver, to you packing and shipping the entire enclosure with drivers.

The age of your drivers will mean that you should be concerned with the surrounds and lower your volume and fuse your speakers even.

At the same time, maybe consider updating your crossover caps, or at least read up on this topic before spending any money.

There is also some members on this site who have a repair service available, Carl for example.

Good luck.

Guest gilbertparts

Hi,

I own two pairs of M6 Speakers. One set is a spare and the other has been used continuously since new. The surrounds on the M6's are rubber not foam. This rubber is very durable and should last a long time. The fact that they are not exposed to light will also help the woofer surrounds last a long time.

Your M6's should give you many more years of listening, you would have to spend quite a lot of money in todays market to get a better speaker. Enjoy !

Frank

Guest jman66

Frank,

Unless they made a design change, the only driver in the M6 that has

a rubber surround is the mid-bass/midrange driver, mounted in the

unit that sits ontop of the woofer column. My woofers have foam

surrounds.

Archived