The AR-3 in California Historical Exhibit

tysontom

An important historical exhibit is being assembled (primarily by west-coast audio manufacturers) in California at the San Francisco Airport Museum’s (SFAM) main gallery in the domestic United Airlines terminal at SFO. This exhibit will run from October, 2006 until June 2007, and will feature many icons in the field of audio. The working title, “From Horns to Hard Disks,” emphasizes somewhat the west coast recording industry (such as Ampex and JBL), but it will include many Hi-Fi pioneer notables in audio history such as Avery Fisher, Joseph Grado, Sidney Harman, Saul Marantz, Frank McIntosh, Henry Kloss and, of course, Edgar Villchur. There are many more that I have not listed.

This historical exhibit will cover audio innovations from Edison’s 1877 invention of tinfoil cylinder recording to today’s MP3s and digital cinema. Besides objects in cases, there will be a number of graphic pylons to honor these innovators in the field of audio. There will be a relatively large pylon dedicated to the contributions of Acoustic Research's Edgar Villchur, most specifically the acoustic-suspension patent and the landmark AR-3 speaker. An AR-3 will be on display along with images of Villchur and the patents, and so forth.

Therefore, if you are out in California during this period and can get by the San Francisco Airport (SFO), please stop in to see the exhibit!

--Tom Tyson

Guest nathanso

The exhibits at SFO are first rate. The last I saw was on luxury steamship line memorabilia/history and it was truly fascinating.

>Tom--

>

>Are you providing the AR-3, as you did for the Smithsonian?

>

>Steve F.

Yes. I will be supplying a Lacquered-Mahogany AR-3. The museum is a first-class operation: a team of museum personnel will actually come out to my house, pack the speaker and then get it out to San Francisco. I thought that was impressive!

--Tom Tyson

Guest kfarrand

Tom,

Speaking of the AR patent, I uploaded a single .pdf file to one of the threads which includes all 6 pages of the patent. The patent is displayed on the US Patent and Trademark web pages as a series of 6 separate graphic images. I hope that the single .pdf file will be more 'user friendly' for those interested in his historic document.

This link will hopefully take folks to the file:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1340.pdf

Kevin.Manson@Gmail.com

They say you can't go home again. Al contrario, these wonderful speakers, amps and analog sources regularly transport me in this halcyon time back to the audio of the old 60's and 70's college days.

AR-3as

Dynaco A-25s

Dynaco Stereo 416, Stereo 70, PAS 3's

McIntosh MC2505

Scott LK-72

Nakamichi Tri Tracer 700

Revox A-77

"The AR Turntable"

Archived