AR-4x troubleshooting help please!

Guest kai

I have a pair of AR-4x, i noticed that one of my speakers is having a problem. I do not get treble out of it and the wooffer is kind of distored. Sounds like a bad radio.. maybe because there is no treble. I have tested this speakers on multiple channels, amps, and used different types of wires. So i am now thinking it is down to the internals.

Since the AR-4x is a sealed speaker, how do i get at it? the most logical way is from the front to take the grill off... how do i do that? gently pry it out?

Once open, should i assume it is the tweeter that is broken? or should i troubleshoot the cap, inductor, or pot?

If it is the tweeter, how do i go about to find a replacement? what type of modern speaker is compatable with it, or where can i buy a factory replacement cone?

Thanks for the help!

Stephen

Guest linedrive

Stephen -

Try rotating your tweeter's level control back and forth - it may have dead spots, and the signal isn't getting through. Sometimes it's possible to find a good spot, and you can just leave the control set there.

Otherwise, if you want to reach the inside, you've got to remove the woofer. Chances are it's the level control that's bad, possibly the tweeter. It's really unlikely that a crossover component has failed. There are no new factory replacement drivers - an exact replacement from another AR hobbyist, or ebay is your best bet.

how do access the internals of the speaker? do i remove the front mesh? it seems completly sealed.

Also is the level control the potentiometer? I have adjusted the pot back and forth and nothign has changed sounds the same. I know the pot's wipper would eventually wear out.. i hope that is the case.

The grill needs to be removed in order to get at the speakers, which can then be removed from the cabinet. Older models used staples to hold the grill in place. More recent models used glue. Use of a putty knife being careful not to mar the cabinet can be used to remove the glued on grills. Removing the staples on the older models will allow the grill to be lifted off.

The pots can be cleaned using cleaner and/or WD-40. Put an ohmmeter on the pots to watch the resistence smoothly go from 2 ohms to about 20 as the pots are cleaned. Or you can remove them and disassemble for cleaning.

The woofer should be working fine unless the surrounds are bad and I doubt if they are. Tweeters not working 95% of the time are because of dirty pots and 5% of the time due to the tweeter being blown. Infinite resistence across the tweeter terminals indicates a blown tweeter.

Archived