Superphon Revelation II and DM-220

Guest David in MA

Guest David in MA

Hi all,

I'm about to take an hour drive to check out superphon revelation || preamp and DM-220 power amp. I couldn't find too much information about them on the net. Anyone comments? Specfically, how will they match AR-9's?

Thanks.

Guest nathanso

I don't know about those specific pieces, but if my experience with my AR90's means anything, I'd advise you to buy as much power as you can afford. My AR90's sound nice with my Aragon 8002 which puts out 250WPC into 4-ohms. I was content with that set up until a friend brought over his Mac for a spin on my system.

To my ears, the AR90's sound far far better running on a McIntosh MC 2300.. a night and day difference. I doubt it's the extra 50W. Don't buy the first amp you hear. Listen to many; listen to them in your system if possible.

And if you have the chance, try to listen to those Nines on a Mac!

I've never heard of the Superphon Revelation II or DM-220 and can't offer any opinion concerning them but would love to hear your opinion if you get them.

Based upon personal experience, the old heathkit AA-1800 does an excellent job driving a pair of AR90s. if you come across one or two in good condition at a decent price, consider giving one a try. The owner of the local audiophile shop listened to mine after it came back from repair and was stunned and flattly said it was the first and only solid state amp he would consider owning.

Guest David in MA

Hi all,

It turns out there isn't much information on them. Superphon preamp and power amps were designed by Stan Warren. He recently put together superphon revelation III preamp. They have a website at http://www.superphon.com.

As for the performance, I have Thorens 125 mkII w/ SME 3009 tone arm and stanton S881 cartridge hooked up to revelation II and DM 220 driving a pair of AR9's. Considering I was driving them w/ ARCAM alpha 7 integrated amps, it's a much different sound (for better, of course). I don't have enough experience w/ different amps to say whether this is the ultimate setup. The sound stage is much wider, well defined and a hint of warm feel to "certain" recordings. By certain recordings I'm referring to stuff from steely dan and other studio recording musicians. Considering I spent about $400 for pre and power amp, it's not too bad. It sure beats any receivers out there (i think).

I will report more as I check it out more....

Archived