AR-4x Tweeters

Guest tgw

Much has been written about the AR designed tweeters used in the 4x. Because of the 1200 Hz cross over any suitable replacement tweeters are hard to find, since most modern tweeters cross over at 2 or 3k Hz.

I have one of these tweeters on the shelf that has an open coil. The other evening I was inspecting this tweeter and noticed that a rip had developed in the cone, which appears to be some form of rubber. My question is this. Are the cones on all of these tweeters on borrowed time? We of course can refoam a woofer, but I suspect that reconing these tweeters is not possible.

Should we all begin searching for a suitable replacement if in fact all of the working tweeters in our AR-4x's may soon begin developing similar rips in the cone material?

>Much has been written about the AR designed tweeters used in

>the 4x. Because of the 1200 Hz cross over any suitable

>replacement tweeters are hard to find, since most modern

>tweeters cross over at 2 or 3k Hz.

>

>I have one of these tweeters on the shelf that has an open

>coil. The other evening I was inspecting this tweeter and

>noticed that a rip had developed in the cone, which appears to

>be some form of rubber. My question is this. Are the cones on

>all of these tweeters on borrowed time? We of course can

>refoam a woofer, but I suspect that reconing these tweeters is

>not possible.

>

>Should we all begin searching for a suitable replacement if in

>fact all of the working tweeters in our AR-4x's may soon begin

>developing similar rips in the cone material?

>

Hi there;

Unless there was a factory flaw or someone damaged it, I have never seen as you described on a AR-4X tweeter.

There is millions of them still in use today.

You probably would have better luck winning a sweepstake, than finding a torn tweeter.

Glad to hear that what I found was most likely a defective tweeter and not evidence of age deterioration. I did replace that tweeter with another I purchased on eBay.

The fact that the cone material is not paper but rather some type of rubber raised my concern.

Archived