AR18 "Truth in Listening" speaker - design variations?

Rich W

Thought I'd share this information with my fellow AR enthusiasts.

Just purchased a used pair of AR18 speakers circa 1977, from the "Truth in Listening" series. I'm a big fan of these speakers, as I already have one pair, and purchased an additional pair to use in a different room.

I noticed something interesting though. The new pair does not have a "-3db / 0db" tweeter level adjustment which my older pair has. Otherwise, the speakers are identical in appearance in all other respects. The pair without the controls are a later serial number, 086712 vs. 064309 for the pair with the controls. I do know that later incarnations of the AR18 (post "Truth in Listening") lacked the level control, but was suprised to see the control eliminated within the same product release.

Based on listening tests, the pair without the level adjustment control sound the same as my older pair set to " 0 db". Still a great sounding speaker! Except for the deep bass, I've found the AR18 to sound superior to any other speaker I've owned (Large Advents, Advent Legacy II, KLH 5 to name a few) - better imaging, uncolored mids and smooth extended highs. The one a quarter inch pressure cone ferro-cooled tweeter design has hardly been improved upon by any manufacturer, and is only bested by AR's own dome tweeter.

Rich W

Rich:

Are the cabinets on your new speakers identical to your older ones? Might your new speakers be AR-18B? The -18 and -18B can be distinguished without opening the cabinet:

AR-18: tweeter level switch; knurled binding posts; cabinet has square front corners; serial number tag is located on baffle board. Inside there should be a 6-uf crossover cap and an AR-#200014-3 tweeter.

AR-18B: no tweeter level; red/black spring connections; quarter-round molding on front; serial number tag is located on back of cabinet. Inside there should be a 5-uf crossover cap and an AR #200034-0 tweeter. (At least this is what is in my 18 and 18B speakers.)

Hope this helps,

Hi John,

Both pairs are identical in appearance and internal drivers. The only difference is the lack of tweeter level control on the one pair. Apparently, AR must have been contemplating eliminating the control for the soon-to-be released newer version of the AR18 (which I believe had the "bullnose" front), and decided to introduce it to the remainder of the "Truth in Listening" production run.

I suppose none of this is suprising, considering some of the variations within model run that have been noted in this forum with the original AR1 thru AR7 series.

Best Regards,

Rich

Guest Damerla

Hai Rich,

This is D.Durga Prasad from Visakhapatnam, India. I am a great fan ofAcoustic Reseach Speakers.

I have AR TSW 510 and AR18J. The 18J has a 3db HF level control.The serial no is 062207 and the speakers have a dark brown sponge front covers.

Both the TSW and 18j arexcellent speakers. TSW is on Harmon/kardon AVR30 and the 18J is on Rotel RA414 stereo amp.

You may get in touch with me on prasaddamerla1@rediffmail.com

Do you have a Photograph of your system? Can i post a photograph?

D.Durga Prasad

Hi D.Durga Prasad,

I don't have a photo of my system (which is always changing!), but you can post photo as an attachment to your message on this website.

You brought up an interesting point. Although the speaker is known as the "AR18", when you remove the foam, "AR18J" is indicated next to the serial number. Perhaps a fellow member of this forum knows why this is so.

As for my system, it is fairly modest. I'm currently using a Harman Kardon 730 to drive my AR18's, but have been evaluating other receivers in my vintage collection. Interestingly, I seem to prefer the AR18's with a Marantz 2240 over the Harmon Kardon, although the phono section in the HK is superior. By the way, I'm using a Shure V15Vxmr cartridge with a Sanyo TP-1020 turntable as my primary music source.

I will evaluating a Marantz 2030 next, to hear what kind of system synergy I'll get with my 18's.

As for my other vintage speakers which I've collected from various (inexpensive) sources, I intend to sell them all. None are as accurate as my AR18's (except in the lowest octave of deep bass), and none present as deep and wide a soundstage.

Best Regards,

Rich W

>"AR18J" is indicated next to the serial number.

>Perhaps a fellow member of this forum knows why this is so.

The only versions of the AR-18 discussed here or listed in AR literature were -18, -18b, -18s, and -18bxi. Likely the "J" and "V" and other letters that appear before the serial number denote something else ... Perhaps the manufacturing plant? The letter "C" is part of the AR-3a serial numbers.

Archived