AR-4x's and room size

Guest postjob62

Guest postjob62

I'm going to most likely be using a pair of 4x's in a fairly large, open room. (Yep, WAF rears it's ugly head!) Appx. dimensions will be 21x16x9. With hardwood floors, the room will be fairly hard acoustically. Placement of the 4x's will be along the long wall in an entertainment center, certainly not ideal. Power will be from a '70's Marantz receiver with an honest 40-45 wpc, and a "loudness" button. Program material will be mostly classic rock, but volume needs will be somewhat moderate.

I just wondered if anyone else had tried 4x's in a larger room and what I might expect. I should add that most listening will be done sitting directly in front of the speakers, appx. 9 feet away.

Yes, in case anyone guessed I started out with stacked 3a's, and she started out with 2 of those tiny HT cube things placed out of sight. This is just the best compromise I could work out, short of protracted and ugly legal proceedings.

Thanks,

Ed

The AR-4x's will give a good account of themselves, but how about a compromise involving AR-2ax's? A little bigger than the 4 but not as big as the 3.

Guest postjob62

Yep, I have a couple pairs of 2's and gave that the ol' college try-no cigar. 4x's it will be.

I have a couple pairs of 4x's and really love the sound, but they're in smaller rooms. I've never had them in a larger room, but have just always heard that they can get a little lost. Given the fairly short listening distance, I'm hoping they will be OK.

Just hoping maybe someone had given it a try.

Ed

Guest postjob62

Hey Joe and Brad, thanks much for your words of encouragement. That's just what I wanted to hear. I too think the 4x is a phenomenal speaker for it's size, never mind it's original (and current) cost.

Since the wife has recently allowed 3a's in the main family room, I felt obliged to compromise a little in this instance.

Now I'm looking forward to it. I did think of trying to sneak in 2ax's, but when you get down to it they're awfully close size-wise to the 3a. I'm pretty sure I'd be busted if I tried it. And besides, the 4x's will fit into the bookshelves in the entertainment center so that will be a plus.

By the way, has anyone had a problem with classic AR's interfering with a CRT TV? I've heard of problems, but as I type this I'm watching such a TV that is within 20-24" of a pair of stacked 4x's with no apparent trouble.

Thanks,

Ed

I would echo what others have said. I'm using 4x's in a 21x22x10 carpetted room with a 30wpc Yamaha and they sound fine. They won't bloww the doors off but they are satisfying. As you mentioned, you'll be sitting reasonably close so volume level shouldn't be a problem.

Guest daveshel

Actually I tried my AR4xs in a 19 X 13 X 8 room (but with tile instead of carpeting) and quickly decided they might work as rear speakers if I ever got something multichannel going. They sound great in a smaller room or in a system in which you might have more limited dynamic expectations but in that room ther were a little thin and lost.

Compared to some of the other combinations that have worked better in that room:

(large) Advents - sounded good for years

Double/stacked (large) Advents - sounded great

Polk Monitor 4.6 - excellent mids and highs, need a subwoofer

Polk stacked with Advents - excellent balance but the image isn't quite as good as the double Advents.

AR4x stacked with Advents - bottom-heavy

Archived