Bubbling around the AR-3a tweeters

Guest rbferrell

Guest rbferrell

When I looked at my 1974 AR-3a tweeters after about 12 years in storage, I couldn't recall whether or not the tweeters originally had the 3 characteristic 'bubbles' that I now see in other photos as well. A photo of one of my tweeters is attached. Is this bubbling OK? Is is just ageing of the rubber seal? Or was it that way from the beginning? Most importantly, does it sonically degrade the tweeter? I hope someone can resolve my uncertainty.

Bob

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1023.jpg

post-101648-1140286515.jpg

Guest postjob62

Bob,

Your tweeter is fine, just as it should be. Looks like they are front-wired-I would assume the mids are as well? This may be somewhat of a transitional model before the later back-wired 3a.

Any chance you could post a pic of all the drivers in the complete front baffle, along with a shot of the grill and cloth? Maybe Tom and others could use this to determine more closely when the transition occurred to the back-wired/less sonically transparent grillcloth unit. I thought it had already taken place by the time your speaker was built.

By the way, your photo is excellent.

Ed

Guest rbferrell

Ed,

The mids are back-wired, tweeters front-wired. I'll post pics of front baffle/drivers, grill and a close-up of the grill cloth as soon as I get a chance.

Bob

Archived