Sensitivity of AR LST?

Guest Tube747

>hello!

>What is the sensitivity of AR LST? What is the minimum

>impedance of this speaker?

>

>thanks!

The AR-LST's sensitivity is 89.5 dB SPL; impedance depends on the position of the Spectral-Balance control, but the LST is essentially a 4-ohms loudspeaker. In switch positions 4, 5 and 6 the impedance drops below 4 ohms in the upper bass frequencies. The LST does pose a challenging load to many amplifiers, however, because of the relatively low efficiency (0.8%) and the reactive load presented to an amplifier. It is therefore best to drive this speaker with a stable amplifier capable of healthy power into low impedances.

--Tom Tyson

Guest Tube747

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the infomration! I heard the rumour about using tube amplifier driving LST with great success, actually, this is a pair of Marantz 9 amplifier. Is it possible using the LST with tube amplification?

Normally, I see people use high power solid state to drive the LST, but never heard of tube amplifier driving that. What's your comment?

Thanks Again!

>Hi Tom!

>Thanks for the infomration! I heard the rumour about using

>tube amplifier driving LST with great success, actually, this

>is a pair of Marantz 9 amplifier. Is it possible using the LST

>with tube amplification?

>

>Normally, I see people use high power solid state to drive the

>LST, but never heard of tube amplifier driving that. What's

>your comment?

>

>Thanks Again!

Believe me, a pair of Marantz Model 9 mono amplifiers should have *no* trouble driving the AR-LST. Some tube amplifiers in the past have had reduced output power at the 4-ohm tap, and I'm not sure about the Marantz; but with its prodigious continuous-output power and peak power, you will probably have plenty of reserve power driving the LSTs!

You are lucky to own Model 9s. If you ever get tired of them you can sell them and retire on the proceeds (at least for a little while). They seem to have incredible value!

--Tom Tyson

Archived