Reusing old fiberglass

Guest Randy O

Guest Randy O

Don't care to start a old verse's new debate here. I've done both in the past reusing the original and new with good results. My question is after playing with this old stuffing one can literally see it crumble with your eyes and I was wondering if these small fibers and dust can build up in voice coils and such and eventually cause problems? I'm sure 35-40 yrs ago nobody even thought this might even be a possibility. I know there is a protective type material to hold the fiberglass back, but this stuff is pretty unstable as everyone here who opened one of these old cabinets knows.

Randy O

>Don't care to start a old verse's new debate here. I've done

>both in the past reusing the original and new with good

>results. My question is after playing with this old stuffing

>one can literally see it crumble with your eyes and I was

>wondering if these small fibers and dust can build up in voice

>coils and such and eventually cause problems? I'm sure 35-40

>yrs ago nobody even thought this might even be a possibility.

>I know there is a protective type material to hold the

>fiberglass back, but this stuff is pretty unstable as everyone

>here who opened one of these old cabinets knows.

>

>Randy O

Hi there;

I have read elsewhere, where someone takes out the old fibreglas and replaces it with poly fill.

Unless one has access to specialized equipment, this is haphazard at best.

I don't remember reading on this site, that anyone has removed and weighed it and used newer type fibreglas and weighed it and did any tests.

Ditto for poly fill and type and weight.

I don't see any reason to replace the existing itchy filler, as it doesn't seem to deteriorate in the enclosures.

Obviously today manufacturers are cost and alergy conscience, I have only seen poly fill lately.

I haven't read anywhere, where the fine fibres are affecting the woofers performance, yet, of any brand.

Archived