PR AR ACOUSTIC RESEARCH ANNIVERSARY 30 SPEAKERS

Guest OldRelayer

Guest OldRelayer

AR ACOUSTIC RESEARCH ANNIVERSARY 30 SPEAKERS

http://cgi.ebay.com/PR-AR-ACOUSTIC-RESEARC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Beyond about 10 speakers from the classic era, I know nothing about speakers in general and ever so slightly more about AR.

Just curious as to what this speak is. Is is big and good or just big, they weigh over 100 #s each, reads good but then what doesn't.

Its not a great big deal, but if somebody knows something about the, it would be interesting.

Thanks

Barry

These are not Model 30 Anniversary speakers...I was initially confused when I read that they were 30 Anniversaries but weighed 100 lbs! The 30 Anniversary was produced in 1984 (30 years, naturally, after AR's founding in 1954). The 30 was 2 speakers, actually, a 10" 2-way, in both a bookshelf and a short floorstanding version. Nice product, nothing too memorable.

The 30 Classic, which these are, was AR's top speaker in a VERY short-lived line, just before they pulled up stakes from MA and went to California. Quite an excellent speaker, as was the whole Classic line. They were terrific audiophile speakers introduced just as high-end audio had entered its final, slow, death spiral and home theater was taking over for good. AR's great marketing timing strikes again.

AR did experience a lot of shipping damage initially, due to the unusual cabinet angles coupled with the extreme weight, and they had to re-design the cartons several times to get it right (according to one of their engineers on the project who I later worked with). Make sure the seller packs them VERY well or damage is likely.

Steve F.

Archived