AR-4x Questions

Guest tgw

I am in the process of restoring the AR-4x's I use in my home theater and while the tweeters and woofers are still working fine I am wondering about replacements. The AR-4x uses a 2.5 inch cone tweeter. Does anyone know the frequency response? What is the cross over frequency? I see that most cone tweeters in Parts Express have a lower frequency of 2000 hz. Can these be used in the 4x?

I have ordered a second set of AR-4x's on ebay and will use one for my center channel speaker. The pair I have purchased will probably need some work as well. Years ago I removed the tweeter control from the circuit because of corrosion. Now that I know how to take the grill off, I plan on going in and cleaning the potentiometer in the pair that I just purchased.

the croverover point was very low in the ar 4x and used 20UF caps , you would need a tweeter that goes down to about 1200 cycles . if the tweeters are working i would not replace them and keep them original.in the past i have tried many different tweeters and always thought the original tweeter sounded the best. i have replaced the Lpads on all 3 pair of my ar 4x's, but you can bypass them. most of the time i do have the Lpads turned up amost all the way. regards john cota

I agree that it is best to stick with the original drivers on the AR-4x. The crossover was 1200 HZ. I would clean the pots rather than bypass them. The smoothest response curve is not going to be with the tweeters wide open. I like my 4x's just slightly advanced from the "normal" position, however everyone will have different tastes.

Guest tdeutsch

The Layne website suggests replacing the level control with a $7 replacement he says works better and is more reliable than just cleaning the brass contacts. Agree? Disagree? (from experience, of course...)

I am a new AR-4x owner and have never opened a pair of speakers with intent to fix before. Want to make sure I do it well, but I'm not concerned about re-installing the original parts if others will work better.

>The Layne website suggests replacing the level control with a

>$7 replacement he says works better and is more reliable than

>just cleaning the brass contacts. Agree? Disagree? (from

>experience, of course...)

>I am a new AR-4x owner and have never opened a pair of

>speakers with intent to fix before. Want to make sure I do it

>well, but I'm not concerned about re-installing the original

>parts if others will work better.

Hi there;

If your AR-4X's work, don't change anything, inside the enclosure.

When the pots are dirty and the tweeters are constantly dropping out, then clean the pots.

If, while cleaning the pots, a small part should break, replace it with a used, but cleaned pot, which are usually available once in a while on ebay, there is at least a few members here who do make them available as well.

If you have to replace a pot, use an original potentiometer, not an L pad.

I cannot explain to you the technical differences properly, there has been very much discussion regarding this issue in the past.

I saw on ebay recently, that a seller replaced the speaker wires from 22 guage to 12 guage, he also replaced the loose fibreglas insulation with a synthetic material.

AR designed the enclosures to be tight, well braced and non-resonating as was feasible and practical.

Replacing the fibreglas with the synthetic wadding may have seriously compromised the woofers performance, if, a lab quality testing wasn't performed on them.

If, you are lucky enough to have AR-4X's with the older cloth surrounds, you may never ever, other than maybe pot or cap trouble or blown drivers, have to remove your grill cloths to service your speakers.

A great speaker for the money.

Good luck and please keep us posted as to your results.

Guest tdeutsch

OK, sounds like sage advice. I'll try just cleaning the pots, then resealing with a little bead of plumbers' putty (as per the discussion on this site). I'm sure it will become obvious once I look at them, but will I be just spraying "contact cleaner" to clean these parts or will it involve sanding/polishing (with what -- 800 grit paper?). What about applying an electrician's grade gel (used to make safe splices in aluminum wiring) afterward to prevent future corrosion?

Should I replace capacitors or other components also while I have the cabinet open?

Sorry for the newby questions -- let me know where I can view the info if this has all been covered before.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived