AR48s Repair

Guest hulk181

Guest hulk181

Hello All,

I just pulled a pair of AR48s out of storage. They were in storage because my newborn (9 years ago) destroyed the foam around both woofers. Also the yellow membrane around the midrange speakers of both is cracked, most likely from age. If my memory serves me right, they are otherwise undamaged and I liked the sound. I have never tried to take them apart to inspect the insides.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a trusted repair facility in New England ( I live near Concord Mass), where I could bring them in for refoaming and whatever else it takes to make them useable again.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Bob

post-101641-1136948926.jpg

>Hello All,

>

>I just pulled a pair of AR48s out of storage. They were in

>storage because my newborn (9 years ago) destroyed the foam

>around both woofers. Also the yellow membrane around the

>midrange speakers of both is cracked, most likely from age. If

>my memory serves me right, they are otherwise undamaged and I

>liked the sound. I have never tried to take them apart to

>inspect the insides.

I have a similar situation

AR48s that have foam rot on the woofers and some problems with the yellow gasket around the midranges.

the dealer in NJ where I bought them (back in '82)wanted $330 to replace the woffers, midranges and 'service' the crossovers. They did not recomend refoaming. Now I'm considering ordering a kit and refoaming the woofers myself. I'm hesitant to spend 300+ on these guys. Opinions?

Guest OldRelayer

I replaced drivers in AR speakers not AR48's and it isn't terribly difficult. I also have been looking for speakers and the vintage I am interested in will almost always need refoaming so I have done some research. I have seen a few post from people trying it for the first time and they say, it isn't difficult just a bit tedious. I found the video you may find interesting from Speaker works Northwest a company that sells the kits to do such things.

http://www.speakerworks.net/repair_video.html

I personally think with the desire and a bit of patience you can do it.

Barry

Archived