Guest postjob62

>Anyone know where you can get the real AR stands, the 11 inch

>cross ones not the 4 inch box type?

>

>Thanks

>Barry

>

Barry,

There are probably other places to look, but the first place that comes to mind is eBay. Be aware that they are outrageously pricey, or maybe not, depending on one's view of the free market system. Anyway, I paid 102.50 + shipping for a pretty decent pair a couple of months back, FWIW.

I'm considering taking measurements and making a couple pairs (not to resell), but it may be a longer-term project. Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult a project, even given my limited woodworking skills.

Good luck looking.

Regards,

Ed

Guest postjob62

Barry, a P.S.:

Don't know which AR's you're planning on using with these, but be advised that the footprint of these stands is large. I don't know precisely which speakers AR designed them for, but would have to assume the 3a. As such, the 3a seems to just barely reach the corners of the stand where the corners of the 3a's come to rest.

I don't think they would properly support any AR speakers with measurements less than a 3a, however slight the difference might be.

Ed

Guest OldRelayer

Thanks guys for the replies. I don't actually have the speakers, I am going to have either AR-5s or AR-3as depending how it plays out. I have used these stands for AR5s and they work just fine. Wow, pricey, I guess so, when you consider they sold brand new from AR for $10 a pair.

I bought something today that might work, it is similar to the other box type that is 4 inches high but these are 9 inches high, I think they will work and look fine and will cost me about $20, sorta. Actually they are called Nesting Cubes, they are 3 sizes the middle size is the one that works, fortunately, we have all kinds of other uses for the remaining 4 cubes. The middle one is 9 inches high, 16 inches wide, about an inch wider than the speaker on each side and 11 4/8 deep or just about perfect. It is a decent solution at least for the short term who knows might be able to find the stands I want someday. BTW, they sell these nesting cubes at Bed, Bath and beyond.

Thanks

Barry

Guest dogmeninreno

>Thanks guys for the replies. I don't actually have the

>speakers, I am going to have either AR-5s or AR-3as depending

>how it plays out. I have used these stands for AR5s and they

>work just fine. Wow, pricey, I guess so, when you consider

>they sold brand new from AR for $10 a pair.

>

>I bought something today that might work, it is similar to the

>other box type that is 4 inches high but these are 9 inches

>high, I think they will work and look fine and will cost me

>about $20, sorta. Actually they are called Nesting Cubes,

>they are 3 sizes the middle size is the one that works,

>fortunately, we have all kinds of other uses for the remaining

>4 cubes. The middle one is 9 inches high, 16 inches wide,

>about an inch wider than the speaker on each side and 11 4/8

>deep or just about perfect. It is a decent solution at least

>for the short term who knows might be able to find the stands

>I want someday. BTW, they sell these nesting cubes at Bed,

>Bath and beyond.

>

>Thanks

>Barry

>

>

>I have a couple of sets of the AR3a X type walnut stands in good shape..$130.00 for a pair including freight

>Thanks for the offer, I will pass.

>

>Barry

>

Hi Barry;

I have a pair (one speaker) that I bought direct from AR and a friend gave me another pair (one speaker).

They are visually identical, except, when you get up real close and personal.

They are both solid walnut but the fastening or interlocking of the cross pieces to the risers is done differently.

I saw two pair of really sad looking ones on ebay a few months ago.

I wrote to the seller that if he spent a few minutes cleaning them up he would benefit financially.

He pulled them I think.

When I first saw them, the bidding was dirt cheap, and an opportunist could have made a mint off someones elses loss.

Personally, if you could still get them today from AR for $10.00 I might suggest that route, but they are now too low to the floor in my opinion and with people bumping into them, maybe a haszard for the speakers.

Archived