AR-2ax vs AR5's

Guest Randy O

Guest Randy O

I was curious if anybody has any idea why I'm having a small problem of setting the l-pads on a pair of 2ax recently restored? These speakers got new caps and l-pads due to pots too far gone. Setting beside an original pr of 5's with the pots at 80-90% working (minimal dead spots) it seems I can hear the adjustments clearer on the 5's than the 2ax. Is it possible my ears are too old or the 5's crossover is that much better? I should say this is in a smaller room then I've been using the the past so that could be a factor.

Clearly the 5's are the superior speaker, but in defense of the 2ax I did lend them to a friend awhile back who was restoring an old church into a house and they sounded great in such a large room.

Clearly the AR-5 has a more open and more dispersed midrange, however in my experience the two speakers behave quite similar.

At the very least, the tweeter adjustments on the two speakers should seem identical, as they are using the same driver ( 8 ohm version of the 3/4" unit).

My assumption here is that you are working on a "new" 1970-1976 AR-2ax ??

If you are working on an "old" 1964-1969 AR-2ax, we are talking about a slightly different animal. In this unit, the crossover frequencies are different and the 1 3/8" phenolic dome tweeter is a little less efficient.

Guest Randy O

These are the newer AR-2ax with the 3/4" tweeter. I guess I'm comparing apples to oranges since I have two different speakers with two different adjustment devices. I'm sure the l-pads work fine, probably better than my ears can hear. It was just the l-pad seemed more subtle than the pot, but as I said these are two different speakers so it's not fair to judge pots to l-pads with two different speakers.

Archived