AR-303 Comments and Observations

Pete B

Note the similar rise for the Aerial 20T, the manufacturer's spec for frequency response is 28Hz-30kHz, ±2dB:

http://stereophile.com/images/archivesart/A20FIG06.jpg

Fig.6 Aerial 20T, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50", averaged across 30 degrees horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with the complex sum of the port, woofer, and midrange nearfield responses plotted below 500Hz.

Pete B.

Measurement of the Revel Ultima Studio shows no rise, and I wonder if the measurement method was changed given that JA admitted that something was wrong with the KEF measurements that was not unique to KEF. Manufacturer's spec: "Frequency responses: in-room response and first-reflection, 31Hz-12kHz, ±1dB; listening window, 31Hz-20kHz, ±1.5dB. Low-frequency extension: -10dB at 22Hz, -6dB at 26Hz, -3dB at 33Hz.":

http://stereophile.com/images/archivesart/Rusfig04.jpg

"Fig.4 Revel Ultima Studio, anechoic response on-axis at 50", averaged across 30 degrees horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with the complex sum of the nearfield midrange, woofer, and port responses plotted below 300Hz"

Pete B.

I'd like to see how they obtain this measurement given what's commonly known about room modes:

Manufacturer's spec: "Frequency responses: in-room response and first-reflection, 31Hz-12kHz, ±1dB"

I admire the work being done at Revel, however this does not pass any sanity check, and seems to be wishful thinking. Reading that several times, I'm starting to think that it must be the speaker over a ground plane, that being the first reflection, however this does not agree with "in-room". I'd like to find out from Revel as to exactly how the measurement is performed. I could take first reflection as the measurement being gated to only allow the first reflection, however then it is not possible to measure down to 31 Hz. The spec does not make sense.

Pete B.

All this (technical data) having been said... I just picked up a pristine pair of AR-303's that I am going to set up for 'vinyl only'. What to expect from a listening perspective. I am expecting flat, quick, warm, real...? Thanx

Archived