AR90: successors?

Guest philippe

Guest philippe

Hello everybody,

I have a pair of AR90, and like I don't know exacly how evoluted the AR firm, I would like know if actually AR produce speakers we could to consider as "successors" of AR90 ?

Although the AR-9 (introduced in 1978) did have a series of successor models (the LS and LSi models, introduced in the ’82-85 timeframe), no such direct successor models existed for the 90.

When the new versions of the 9 came out, the 90 was dropped and replaced instead with the 98 series of product, a 12” woofer, 4-way short floorstanding (or REALLY large bookshelf) design.

The only model that might be considered a direct replacement to the 90 (a dual 10-inch woofer, floorstanding design) came in 1987 with the TSW (Titanium Solid Wood) series, the TSW-810.

This speaker used forward and rear-facing 10-inch woofers, dual cone midranges, and the titanium dome tweeter. It was never reviewed by any of the major magazines, but the 910 (a 9-ish replacement) was, and it was pretty highly regarded. I heard (but didn’t own) the 810 on many occasions and it was a very respectable speaker.

Steve F.

Archived