AR TSW speakers, maintenance

Guest fotyc

I have a pair of AR TSW (I think 410) speakers I bought in the late 80s - haven't ever done anything with them, and they are sounding not very clear anymore (I have a 26 year old pair of small Kenwoods in the house that are much brighter sounding) and I wonder what maintenance might be doable by someone with average tool-jockey skills to bring them back. They were great speakers and I'm not sure I could find anything as nice today without spending a bunch. Thank you!:D

The first thing I would check for is holes in the foam surround--common problem with AR speakers. The TSW series had the titanium tweeters and were brighter and more efficient then a lot of the other series. I have 2 pairs of 610's a pair of 510's and a pair of 410's and they all still sound great. However, I have had to replace the surround on 3 of the 4 pairs.

Thanks - I poked at the foam on the mids and woofers and it was falling away to nothing. I can't see foam around the tweeter but I will look in better light, and then start looking for refoaming kits.

Meniscus Audio 616-534-9121 has a good price on foam for the 6.5" midrange and the 8" woofer. Will probably run you around $20 for 4 pieces (stuff only cost about .50 to make). You will also need to order the glue. MAT Electronics (800-811-5177) has the best prices, but they don't sell the 6.5" foam. However they sell the 8" foam for .99, but they have a min order of $25. So unless you need some other electronic items your best bet is Meniscus.The foam is real easy to replace and you can do it yourself.The first one may take you a little while, but after that you will be moving real fast.Some times you need to cut the dust cap on the woofers and sometimes you don't so you should order 2 caps for the 8" woofers. If I was doing it for the first time I would cut the caps so I would not have to do it again as this will prevent the cone from rubbing.

Thanks, I'm sure I never burned the tweeters out, so I will let them be (they're behind a plastic grill). I've ordered foam kits from someone who gives you a video with them, good for the insecure, and will give it a shot. I figure these are excellent speakers, I should give them some maintenance.

Archived