Carrying On the "New England" Tradition

Guest cleaneduphippy

Guest cleaneduphippy

I'm sure most of you would agree the "Glory Years" of the "New England" speaker manufacturers mention here in the Classic Speakers Pages was from approximately the mid-50s to maybe the mid-80s. After that it seems that many of the "classic New England" speaker manufacturers either went out of business or else were "bought out" by other companies who seem to be more interested in making sales, than in actually designing and building good sounding quality speakers at an affordable price. Indeed nowadays, it seems that most speakers are designed either for the "High End" crowd or for the "Home Theater" crowd. What about those of us, who simply want a pair of good natural sounding, well balanced, acoustic suspension speakers that have a relatively full range (iwo, doesn't need a "subwoofer"), at an affordable price, for our stereo listening and have no interest in home theater, adding sub-woofers, ect, and can do without all the sonic "bells and whistles" that most manufacturers are using to sell their speakers. Indeed, whatever happen to speakers that were designed for music enjoyment? In any case, I wonder if any of you think that there are any speaker companies out there who are currently carrying on and maybe even improving upon many of the things that made the classic "New England" speakers sound so good. Truth is, it's getting harder and harder to find some of the classic speakers that get mention here on this site in good shape, so it would be nice to know "who's carrying the tradition on and forward".

>I'm sure most of you would agree the "Glory Years"

>of the "New England" speaker manufacturers mention

>here in the Classic Speakers Pages was from approximately the

>mid-50s to maybe the mid-80s. After that it seems that many

>of the "classic New England" speaker manufacturers

>either went out of business or else were "bought

>out" by other companies who seem to be more interested in

>making sales, than in actually designing and building good

>sounding quality speakers at an affordable price. Indeed

>nowadays, it seems that most speakers are designed either for

>the "High End" crowd or for the "Home

>Theater" crowd. What about those of us, who simply want

>a pair of good natural sounding, well balanced, acoustic

>suspension speakers that have a relatively full range (iwo,

>doesn't need a "subwoofer"), at an affordable price,

>for our stereo listening and have no interest in home theater,

>adding sub-woofers, ect, and can do without all the sonic

>"bells and whistles" that most manufacturers are

>using to sell their speakers. Indeed, whatever happen to

>speakers that were designed for music enjoyment? In any case,

>I wonder if any of you think that there are any speaker

>companies out there who are currently carrying on and maybe

>even improving upon many of the things that made the classic

>"New England" speakers sound so good. Truth is,

>it's getting harder and harder to find some of the classic

>speakers that get mention here on this site in good shape, so

>it would be nice to know "who's carrying the tradition on

>and forward".

Hi Fred;

Yes these are old classics.

There is no reason that in a Home Theatre setup Dynaco A-10's, A-25's A-35's and A-50's could not be used at the very affordable prices of today, used that is.

AR-2 series, AR-4 series, AR-5's, AR-6's, AR-7's, AR-3 series and LST's as well.

EPI, Allison's, KLH, ADC, are all available on the used market for our enjoyment, still, today.

Sadly, with Allison's recent removal from it's revival that all were hoping for, there is still a few manufacturers that produce good sound, just not cheap.

>>>What about those of us, who simply want a pair of good natural sounding, well balanced, acoustic suspension speakers that have a relatively full range (iwo, doesn't need a "subwoofer"), at an affordable price, for our stereo listening and have no interest in home theater,:rolleyes:

But some companies still seem to remember the old days because I have noticed that stereo receivers are making a quiet comeback, from companies like Onkyo, Outlaw Audio and especially Denon (they are now up to 5 different models: http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AMFMStereoReceivers.asp).

And while definitely not having the "east coast sound", as far as I can tell, Cerwin-Vega is the last company selling traditional large floorstanding speakers that also *don't* cost an arm and a leg. And their new CLS series I think is their way of trying to change their image of a company that only builds "frat boy" party speakers (http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/CLSseries/overview.html - hired @2 years ago, the CLS' designer used to work for NHT and *his* manager used to work for Revel; they use a a *soft* dome tweeter from Vifa; bi-amp wiring connectors; more low-key styling; plus they aren't quite as sensitive as their other series which indicates to me they probably have a smoother frequency response).

Guest cleaneduphippy

Dynaco Dan,

Didn't say "cheap", said "affordable". Big difference. By affordable, I mean somewhere in $400 - $800 category. Now to you that may be "cheap", but if you're like me, in your mid-50's and semi-retired then that price range would be considered "affordable".

In any case, from my own research it seems that maybe Huw Powell with his Human Speaker line might be in the "tradition". Certainly his Model 81 seems to fit the bill as it seems to be to be an update of the EPI 100 and it's price I think is about $325. He also has a Model 61 design ($625) that is probably more what I'm looking for, but unfortunately, can't find anymore information on it than what appears on the Human Speakers website. It would nice to hear from some people who have "actually heard" these two designs and get their comments. Of course, the big problem is that while Huw has a reputation for excellent work, he's also known for being somewhat slow about actually completing the work. Of course, if I decide to go with pair of his speakers, then that would be something I would have to understand.

I guess I trying to see if there are other "Huws" out there, that some of you may be aware of.

Anyway, back to the orginal premise of this topic which is, who, if anybody, is "carrying on the "New England" tradition. Appreciate the information on the "older" speakers, and "surfing" around this morning, actually found an ad for a "near mint" pair of Dynaco A-25 for $295 + shipping (btw, is that a good price?), which I may enquire about. But, truth be told, any speaker I put into my living room as to pass the "she who must be obeyed" test. Now, I like the look and the sound of the A-25, but I do wonder about the "missus", as I'm guessing she'll think (and say) it looks a little dated.

Hi again;

>this morning, actually found an ad for a "near mint"

>pair of Dynaco A-25 for $295 + shipping (btw, is that a good

>price?), which I may enquire about.

WOW!!!!! $295.00

I can live with less than, "near mint", off ebay for under $100.00 a pair.

Careful browsing, patience and very careful bidding can net you a decent looking pair on, for example, on ebay.

I have made a few purchases off ebay and except for the S&H I feel I have a few real bargains.

Even EPI 100's can be had for well less than $100.00 a pair.

Plus shipping and handling of course and these are climbing.

I have just been offerd a pair of Larger Advents for $40.00 locally.

Each of these speakers is not fancy looking, actually plain jane looking, love them, each and all.

Compact and un-obtrusive.

But, truth be told, any

>speaker I put into my living room as to pass the "she who

>must be obeyed" test. Now, I like the look and the sound

>of the A-25, but I do wonder about the "missus", as

>I'm guessing she'll think (and say) it looks a little dated.

>

cleaneduphippie: I wasn't going to mention these at first, since they have a reputation for being quite analytical rather than the warm/relaxed sound of Advent/AR/etc, but as far as what you're asking about, I think they come pretty close:

Now Hear This loudspeakers ("NHT")

http://www.nhthifi.com

Any company that uses yodeling on their front page can't be all bad. :^)

FYI: nearly all of their speakers use an acoustic suspension design. Very rare these days. And, their Classic 3 model is on the cover of The Absolute Sound this month. J&R Music sells them for $600/pair: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4073005

Lastly, Stereophile wrote an article about NHT's quirky and *music* oriented founder, Ken Kantor, who attended M.I.T. and "worked" briefly for AR: http://stereophile.com/interviews/232/

• 4 months later...
Guest denmarkdrivers

Intresting post, I think you can still find classic speakers in good shape with a good range , I have some pairs of speakers from eatch era you mention, I would agree the higher end newer speakers almost require a cleaner output from your amp, in many cases the naturalness of the midrange is not up to par with some of the classics, unless you have a lot of money. A couple of reasonable priced speakers come to mind from the classic era that dont require a ton if any rehab, This doesn't mean they are the best of their time but a good option for someone who doesnt want to spend a fortune in rehab, Dynaco A 25s made from 1968-1971 apx, great natural range. Unless the dynaco's were abused on purpose almost always the drivers themselfs look new even after almost 40 years. The secound speaker that comes to mind is nice but i will warn you the company doesnt make parts for the model im about to mention, and being slightly newer tech more can go wrong with them. but they have a nice sound expecially on lp , BW 220i from about 1986-1988 i would favor the A25s slightly, less to go wrong with them, and timeless looks and design. Dont give up on finding an affordable vintage speaker thats not worn down they are out there but rare, some like to get the technical best classics and rehab them and some like the classics that dont need as much if any rehab thats why i suggested the dynacos, They do need a little juice in the amp to clean them out at low levels . The below pics are from some pairs of dynaco A25s can probally get a pair for around 100-350 bucks depending on seller and condition. Most pairs have stood the test of time thats why i love them. ( My pics are a little fuzzy others in the dynaco catagory the drivers show no wear on surround or driver after almost 40 years simply amazing )

post-101827-1182922407.jpg

post-2-1182922407.jpg

post-2-1182922408.jpg

post-2-1182922409.jpg

post-2-1182922410.jpg

2376.txt

Take a look at Human Speakers - www.humanspeakers.com/

They're in Lee N.H., the guy who runs it worked for EPI long ago and has continued in the tradition of simple well made loudspeakers. Most are based on a 8" woofer like the EPI. Seems like this Powell guy is really into speakers and offers a exchange for rebuilts, woofers and tweeters. His site has tons of info on EPI.

Andy

Hi Craig;

I also have a liking for the Dynaco A-25 (Seas) speaker system.

Decent sound, a rubber life-time woofer surround, no-rot foam woofer surrounds, a tweeter with about 100 - 110 degrees angle of dispersion.

Did I mention no-rot foam surrounds, compactness, 5 position tweeter level switch, bass that defies belief for it's size, attractive neutral looking enclosure and grille cloth and was down to a low $50.00 range here in Vancouver, when new.

I do have a selection of speakers to listen to when the mood strikes me, so I have a bit of a balance of taste, in speakers and in music.

The woofer is the weakest link of the A-25 system regarding power handling capacity, I do not know it's power rating limitation.

This tweeter has an outstanding capacity for power, I also do not know it's power rating limitation.

A-25's can be had for about $65.00 a pair in poor health, up to over $400.00 for an insane buyer.

.............. What about those of us, who simply want

>a pair of good natural sounding, well balanced, acoustic

>suspension speakers that have a relatively full range (iwo,

>doesn't need a "subwoofer"), at an affordable price,

>for our stereo listening and have no interest in home theater,

>adding sub-woofers, ect, and can do without all the sonic

>"bells and whistles"................ In any case,

>I wonder if any of you think that there are any speaker

>companies out there who are currently carrying on and maybe

>even improving upon many of the things that made the classic

>"New England" speakers sound so good..................

Some of the Canadian brands were doing a good job of filling that void, though I've lost track of what they've been doing of late. Ten years ago, PSB, Paradigm, Energy, and a couple others were making good basic 2-ways. I like to think that they are (were?) the next step in the progression.

Just a little heresy from a newbie contributor.

I have a beautifull set of AR9"s at the head of my living room on each side of my 35" Hitachi CRT Television. I say this just so you will be able to appreciate that even if I may be stupid, I am VERY FORTUNATE.

About 5 years ago(?) I stuck a Polk Audio CS245 center speaker (open box no grill $100) in the cabinet right below the TV. Hung a pair of Polk Audio RTFX Dipole/Bipole Surround Speakers (Demo & Old Model $160) high on the side walls. Bought a Radio Shack sound meter to balance the volumes.

Now I still have a world class stereo setup. But when I switch to DolbyII Surround or 5.1 Digital I have a VERY Good sounding Home Theater System. When surround is set up sanely and properly it provides depth only to normal recordings. Movies of course contain ALL Kinds of normal and exagerated sound effects that are presented accurately. Life is good and it can be accomplished with classic equipment.

Good Listening

JLM2230

Jeff

• 1 month later...
Guest denmarkdrivers

I agree vern, they are simply amazing to me, no need for exspensive rehabs they were just made to last built like a gto and sound like a porche, the drivers and tweeters were just incrediable quality and over all design for its price is simply fantastic. I bought mine at a resale shop for 12 bucks for the pair with the covers still on ( my jaw hit the floor when i saw them ) i wasent sure if they were the A10's or A25's untill i took covers off and realized they were a pefect pair of A25's with a rare red wood face look, my other pair were from the same resale shop for 20 bucks a few years ago, I think they were used in the old discos that used to be near this resale shop but who knows where they came from, I have both the seas version and the scan version, i think i prefer the seas version. The scan version seem to have a slightly deeper bass but the seas version seems to have slightly better highs, could just be the crossovers in one are worn down less then the others im not really sure . funniest thing about it, the resale shop had a hudge pair of pioneers from the early 1980s with the cheapest drivers and tweeter you will ever come across, they wanted 70 bucks for the crappy 1980's pioneers and 12 bucks for my lovely A 25's .

Hi Craig;

Would you please go to the Dynaco forum and start up a new topic, such as, "Dynaco A-25 sound", please.

I would appreciate seeing your repeat commentary on how they differed in sound, and similarities, as well as how you acquired them, in your opinion.

Pictures would be great too, please.

Did your cost include taxes? LOL LOL

The more you can comment, the better, please.

This way we can keep the topic on line.

You beat me to my test commentary, thank you, Craig.

I always enjoy reading other members commentaries.

Guest denmarkdrivers

I dont think it included taxes but this place is a goldmine for vintage electronics, some of the stuff i passed on not knowing it was good in my yearly years , well it just kills me to think about the stuff i passed on.

It's harder to find good vintage stuff at this shop now days computers and other crappy stuff is starting to take the place of what used to be a common vintage goldmine resaleshop.

The shop is called the brown elephant in chicago, it's still a goldmine, ive bought half of my vintage audio collection at this shop. 2 pairs of A 25's, rotel rb980bx power amp, 2 harmon kardon 730 recivers, dual 1229Q turntable in mint condition.

The speakers were 12 and 15 bucks a pair the turntable was 45 bucks, some of the crappier stuff they were asking a lot more money for.

Some of the stuff i passed on not knowing it was good include ............ A pair of dynaco A 35's or 45's ... pioneer sx1980 reciver, concept 16.5 reciever , dont remember ever seeing AR gear at this place but now that i know its good ill keep my eyes open.

Archived