Ar 14??

Guest murmillo

Guest murmillo

I've had theese speakers for a good while, and i'm gondering which exact model of AR they r and how much they may b worth in the market.

Can anyone help me??

Both of them look exacltly the same, i include a picture

Thanx

post-101564-1132490481.jpg

post-3-1132490481.jpg

post-3-1132490482.jpg

>I've had theese speakers for a good while, and i'm gondering

>which exact model of AR they r and how much they may b worth

>in the market.

>Can anyone help me??

>Both of them look exacltly the same, i include a picture

>

>

>Thanx

Hi there;

I am not an expert but I think you may have a model AR-14 speaker there.

Please wait for someone more knowledgeable to advise you further.

You would need to post a front, back, all four sides of both enclosures to get a further opinion as to their value.

The values will very, that is for sure.

It does look like that is an AR-14.

The value? Well, if you auction them, there's almost no telling what someone might be willing to give you for them. It runs hot and cold. I saw a pair go really cheap on eBay, but when I started contemplating getting a set to give to a friend they seemed to gain popularity immediately. It may have happened, but I haven't seen a pair go for more than about $100 and I've seen several pair not-sell at all. The one you posted the picture of looks as though it has been worked-on.

The cabinet is shiny, which isn't "stock", and I can't tell from the photo if that is an original woofer (I'd want to see the back of the driver). I'm less certain about this, but it looks to me like maybe the black face has been repainted as well.

The missing badge(s) detract from their value and the missing grills are a $70+ replacement if you don't have them.

Given all the above, I wouldn't expect them to bring much at auction since the buyer is going to have to pay to ship them, then spend an undetermined amount to restore them. The AR-14 isn't a highly sought after model, either. They have been largely overlooked.

If you'll do a forum search for AR-14 you can learn quite a bit about why AR built them and their strong points.

Bret

>I've had theese speakers for a good while, and i'm gondering

>which exact model of AR they r and how much they may b worth

>in the market.

>Can anyone help me??

>Both of them look exacltly the same, i include a picture

>

>

>Thanx

The pictured speaker is definitely an AR-14 of about 1976 vintage that has been altered:

(1) The woofer is not stock; it appears to be an odd-ball, poly-coned species of some other make; it also has eight rather than the usual four mounting screws (most likely wood screws at this point). It might be better than stock, but it is likely much worse.

(2) The cabinet has been lacquered or varnished to a high-gloss finish, something AR *never* did with the walnut finishes of any of the speakers during that period. In fact, the only finish available for any versions of the AR-14 was oiled-Walnut.

(3) The badge and grill are missing, which has been mentioned before, so the value of the speaker is diminished by that as well.

Until the problems are corrected, the speaker(s) are not worth a great deal to anyone who knows anything about them.

--Tom Tyson

Correction: the AR-14 would have been made in the 1978-1980 time-frame. It has the newer logo, and I didn't pay attention to that in my previous message. The logo plate would likely have been the aluminum version; everything else still applies as far as the finish and the woofer-type.

--Tom Tyson

Archived