Scott Loudspeaker Info ?

Andy

Anyone have some basic history or comments on this New England loudspeaker ? I recently saw a pair of model S-15 and they seemed to be a very nicely made 3 way design with 10 inch woofer, 5 inch mid & 3 inch tweeter. This model must have gone head to head with the AR-2ax, KLH models 5 & 6.

Guest Americain

I remember that Scott was making systems that were bundled with KLH speakers (if I remember correctly). My neighbor had one back in 1971 and it consisted of a receiver/turntable combo and partnered with what looked like KLH model 22 speakers. I need to do some research though before I can say for sure.

• 1 month later...

I have (not now being used) a pair of Scott S-3s that I purchased new in 1961. 10" woofer, 5" mid-range, and 3" paper cone tweeter.

The tweeter was always troublesome and I replaced them with a pair of Morels (that were suggested as Dynaco A-25 tweeter drop-ins). Perfect fit. The other speakers were Danish. Good sound, but not much on the bass. Cabinets have been well maintained.

Anyone here in the SF Bay area is welcome to them if you can give me a good story that they will find a good home. Being speakers of the time, these things are HEAVY.

John

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MarkAnderson

I have examples of the S-10 & S-10B. Both 10" 2-ways and both a step below the S-15 & (presumably) S-15B. I wouldn't put them in a league with the AR's and KLH's, but they don't completely suck. Much better sound than their rather pedestrian driver complement would suggest. I wouldn't pay a whole lot for a pair, however.

Oh, and for the record, it's "Controlled Impedance". ;-)

Archived