AR8 DXi - tell me more :)

Guest catchpole

Guest catchpole

I picked up and old pair of AR8 DXi speakers on the side of the street here in Australia (The Neutral Bay perpetual 24 hour swap meet :). The edges are shot but I'm going to buy a repair kit for that. I have no intention of selling the speakers, but i'm just curious as to their market value. I'm also trying to work out what year they were made and how they sit in the big picture of AR and modern speakers. I read they were "the last of the real AR speakers".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catchpole

Looking at the suggested web sites I have found that the AR8 is a 10 inch system, where as my speakers are 6.5 inch. The markings are "AR 8 DXi". They are a brown wood finish but have black polymer speaker cones which suggest they arn't too old. Perhaps I need to take some photos.

I have a cone repair kit on the way to me now, so they will be restored to their original glory.

The original AR-8 from 1973-4 was a 10" 2-way. It was not a particularly successful product.

The AR-8 B, Bx, Bxi, etc. series from the early-mid '80's was a 6.5" 2-way.

They were completely different speakers. Usually, a manufacturer will wait much longer than 10 years before reprising an earier model number or name. As an example, the Chrysler corporation is introducing a new SUV next year called the Aspen, fully 30 years after the ill-fated 1976 compact car of the same name. Chances are good that the 2006 Aspen's target market will have little or no recollection of the quality- and rust-plagued car that symbolized Chrysler's near-fatal problems 30 years ago.

But no one will ever accuse the 1970's-80's AR of marketing genius.

Steve F.

Guest catchpole

Searching for BXi not DXi may have been a place to start :)

A recent search has shown that the AR8 BXi was made from 1986. What a great time to be alive. Commodore 64s, Max Headroom and synth laden popular music.. The BXis shall help me relive these days. :)

...now, where are my leg warmers??

Guest catchpole

Okay, so the repair kit arrived... slowly slowly cleaned up the old drivers and applied the new surrounds and dome.. Plugged in.. stood back... nothing... from both speakers... that ain't right..

It turns out the cable contacts have corroded. A little clean up and a solder, and all is well.

Spectacular, spectacular! :)

post-101460-1127521356.jpg

• 14 years later...