AR-LST/ARMATI enclosures on ebay

dynaco_dan

I just saw two cabinet sets being offered on ebay.

# 5805512745 high gloss oak

# 5805515599 soft oak finish

They certainly look nice but I wonder how the midranges were to be fastened into their hole?

One shows 2 opposing bolt slots and the other shows 3 slots.

I guess it cost too much to use T-nuts in these cabinets?

Or did someone cut the holes too large?

They appear to be a copy-cat of the AR-LST's.

>I just saw two cabinet sets being offered on ebay.

>

># 5805512745 high gloss oak

>

># 5805515599 soft oak finish

>

>They certainly look nice but I wonder how the midranges were

>to be fastened into their hole?

>

>One shows 2 opposing bolt slots and the other shows 3 slots.

>

>I guess it cost too much to use T-nuts in these cabinets?

>

>Or did someone cut the holes too large?

>

>They appear to be a copy-cat of the AR-LST's.

Vern, the cabinet in high-gloss oak is definitely the later Cello Amati-Pro version enclosure, and I believe the other cabinet is actually an early Cello Amati cabinet. This cabinet would have used the AR 12-inch woofer (I believe that the Tonegen woofer was used) with a version of the AR-9 midrange and tweeter; the Amati-Pro version used OEM drivers that were similar, but not AR-made. I believe that AR built the early version cabinets for Cello, but I am not sure about the Amati-Pro version. Note that the driver holes are rounted-out, AR-style, in the early version, but the drivers rest on the outside of the cabinet in the Pro version -- more eclectic, yet cheaper. T-Nuts were most likely used on both cabinets (but the T-Nut holes haven't been cut for the midrange drivers on the Pro cabinet at this point for some reason); definitely on the AR-built version. Both cabinet-styles show the two slots in each midrange hole to allow for the tab connectors of the new-style, back-wired 1-1/2-inch midrange drivers that came along around 1974, so this feature might have been universal in all of their cabinets. Minh L might know this as he is somewhat of an expert on the Amati variation of the original AR-LST.

--Tom Tyson

Archived