Subwoofer to go with AR-4x speakers?

gcrimmins

I have a pair of AR-4x booshelf speakers that I'm quite happy with, but they just aren't able to reproduce the bottom octave or two of pipe organ music. So I'm looking for a subwoofer that would be a good match for them, and thought members of this list might have some suggestions. The room they are in is about 20 by 16 feet. Budget is an important part of the equation, and I also don't mind building a subwoofer if that's more cost effective. What's the story with the current line of AR subwoofers? I think they are the PR808, PR1010, and PR1212. They specifications look good, but the guy at the local audio shop says that AR has been sold so many times that their current products are horrible. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what subwoofer might be a good match for my AR-4x's? Thanks for any suggestions!

--Geoff Crimmins

Hi Geoff

You asked the right question at the right time and I suggest you view and maybe printout " Using an AR-1W in 8 ohm mode " just at the moment, two topics below yours.

Good taste, good timing.

This may give you some ideas and options.

Don't run out and buy something new just yet.

You will probably be back with more questions.

We welcome questions and you will receive some very strongly opinionated advice.

I don't want to and I don't want anyone else to knock a product or company, if at all possible, and we don't need that negativity from dealers.

Yes, there has been sellouts, mergers and takeovers in the hifi industries, as well as, other industries and the products of today may or may not have followed the guilding principles of their founders.

"Don't speak ill of the dead," I think is the phrase.

We are readers from all over the world, with an interest in, I believe, speakers of the '60's and '70's and others, but mostly the earliest models.

As you read topics you will learn a lot, by all means go back into the pages of each topic, to see just some of the discussions as well as a very well done library, which Mark is upgrading and maintaining, when he has the time.

We must remember that, " one man's junk, is another man's treasure. "

Ar-4X's are great!!!!!!

Happy hifi, Geoff and keep us updated as to your choices.

Vern

>I have a pair of AR-4x booshelf speakers that I'm quite happy

>with, but they just aren't able to reproduce the bottom octave

>or two of pipe organ music. So I'm looking for a subwoofer

>that would be a good match for them, and thought members of

>this list might have some suggestions. The room they are in is

>about 20 by 16 feet. Budget is an important part of the

>equation, and I also don't mind building a subwoofer if that's

>more cost effective. What's the story with the current line of

>AR subwoofers? I think they are the PR808, PR1010, and PR1212.

>They specifications look good, but the guy at the local audio

>shop says that AR has been sold so many times that their

>current products are horrible. Does anyone know if this is

>true? If so, what subwoofer might be a good match for my

>AR-4x's? Thanks for any suggestions!

>

>--Geoff Crimmins

Archived