Correct AR-1W usage

Guest postjob62

Guest postjob62

Hello all,

First, am I correct in assuming that all AR-1W's are in fact a 12" woofer, and if one is going to actually use it routinely (as opposed to keeping it just for a collection) is there a turning point in it's history where a change in specs makes one preferable to another as a "listener"? Different driver type, etc.?

Secondly, would the concept of using an AR-1W as a subwoofer for an AR4x system make sense, and what are the mechanics of how it should be hooked up? I see the terminals are simply labeled 1-2-3. Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Ed

Hi there Ed

The 4x's would benefit from a bass boost from the AR1W's.

The choices you have are many.

1. If you have a amplifier or receiver with a subwoofer output to another integrated amp or receiver so you can control the volume of the woofer.

There is a way of arriving at a summed single/mono output from any amp or receiver where the left and right channels can have a connected ground.

This is one example I have from the AR receiver.

The AR1W's bass will overpower the AR4X's mid bass unless you can find electronic crossover or similar to cut off the 1W at perhaps below 100HZ.

The AR3A had 150uf cap as a filter and a coil for a 575hz cutoff.

If someone here is more knowledgeable they may be able to suggest a larger capacitor 200 - 300 uf ? (expensive $ )?

Which would be attached to the outside of the AR1W cabinet, not destroying the antiquity of the AR1W by inserting it inside and cutting out original parts.

We will see.

It must have it's own volume control besides the filter.

If this peaks your interest, and it sure peaks mine, more advice will follow as your write-up is found.

There is some very nice, helpful readers on this website and they sure like to help others.

Please keep us informed as to your decision as we would like to follow your adventure.

Have a great day.

Good luck

Vern

>Hello all,

>

>First, am I correct in assuming that all AR-1W's are in fact a

>12" woofer, and if one is going to actually use it routinely

>(as opposed to keeping it just for a collection) is there a

>turning point in it's history where a change in specs makes

>one preferable to another as a "listener"? Different driver

>type, etc.?

>