AR2

Guest Ed Ruane

Guest Ed Ruane

What is the crossover frec of the early AR2 the one with the two mid/tweeters. The mid/tweeters are shot in my pair. Should I upgrade and make it a three way buy adding a new midrange and tweeter or is there a mid/tweeter that I can get to replace the bad ones I have. The crossover and pots are ok. I can make a new plate to hold the midrange and tweeter if I make it a threeway and I can add in the tweeter crossover.

Ed Ruane

The crossover frequency is 2000 HZ. As for the dual 5" mid/tweeters, I would find the original part. You could try ebay or perhaps one of the other forum members has it.

An alternative idea would be to convert it to an AR-2x. AR sold a kit to do this back in the 60's for 15.00 bucks. As far as I know, all you need is the 3.5" CTS built mid/tweeter from the AR-2x/AR-2ax and a plywood adapter plate. I think that is all you need, I could be wrong.

Guest Ed Ruane

Thanks Brad I could not find any 3.5 inch Mid Tweets offered by CTS.I found a lot of Pizo's. I am surprised that AR used such a small wattage speaker in the AR2.I have used these exact same speakers in old tube radios in the past and they are rated at 3 watts.I have bought them 10 for $15. I found some Pioneers rated at 40 watts and am going to try them. One of my AR2's had both coils burned and both have rubbing voice coils.The cones are all distorted by the fiber glass backing.Thanks for the info on the cross over frec.

Ed Ruane

Archived