Dropped my ar-3a mid range

Guest loudsubz

Guest loudsubz

Boy was I wigging out. I was transporting it, being very careful and dropped it on the carpet. The metal mesh dented in on one side, and I thought it was gone, but I tried it out and it seemed to play fine.

My question is, did I likely do any damage, or is that metal mesh on the top just a dome that disperses the sound.

>Boy was I wigging out. I was transporting it, being very

>careful and dropped it on the carpet. The metal mesh dented in

>on one side, and I thought it was gone, but I tried it out and

>it seemed to play fine.

>

>My question is, did I likely do any damage, or is that metal

>mesh on the top just a dome that disperses the sound.

>

>

Hi there

Well you must run out now and buy a lottery ticket after that one.

The mesh is to keep fingers off of the dome and to support the fibreglass and fibre ring.

Hopefully the material is not touching the soft main inner dome.

Can you take a close-up photo of the ding?

With a good photo more advice may be forthcoming.

Good luck

Guest loudsubz

Thanks Vern.

I seem to haver pulled the mesh out a bit, and from looking close up, I can see the material under the mesh has seperated away from the grill a bit, cause there is a space there.

Here is 2 pics for now.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Guest dogmeninreno

If you are carefull, you can remove the mesh from the mid by prying it up all around being extra cautious about the wires. Normallt the mesh is glued on to a cardboard material that will seperate during dissasembly. Straighten out the damage, repaint if necessary and hot glue it back in place.Be sure and replace the fiberglass diffuser pad. Dale

Guest loudsubz

thanks Dale.

Could I try pulling the grill out with a little hook, it doesn't matter to me if it looks perfect, as long as it sounds ok.

The midrange should be fine since you just drop it on soft surface. The metal mesh looks tough but actually very feeble. It will dent in if you press hard with your thumb! All you have to do is to use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the mesh out slowly to the original dome shape so the mesh will not push the fiber glass and add pressure to the coated 1.5¡±soft dome. The original AR-3a midranges had stronger steel mesh. The later units had softer mesh even thought they are hard to tell just by looking at it.

Minh Luong

Guest dogmeninreno

>thanks Dale.

>

>Could I try pulling the grill out with a little hook, it

>doesn't matter to me if it looks perfect, as long as it sounds

>ok.

>

>

I have some mesh covers from defective mids and would be happy to send one to you if you email me your mailing address dald@sbcglobal.net

Archived