Bi-amp question

rrcrain

When bi-amping the AR9/AR90 speakers, what size of amp should be used for the upper section of the speakers versus the bass section?

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Rogue 90 for the top end and leave my AA-1800 on the bass. Does the Rogue have enough oomph for the task or will it see an early grave from being over driven?

Guest bolly

I have used a Yamaha M-80 for the tops and a Yamaha M-2 for the bottoms(both of them are 350wpc@4ohm machines), that worked very well! I currently use a Bryston 3B(250wpc@4) for the woofers, and a 2BP(125wpc@4) for the mids and highs. Lookin for bigger brystons though. It just depends on how high you like to go on the ol' volume knob! :)

Guest dogmeninreno

>When bi-amping the AR9/AR90 speakers, what size of amp should

>be used for the upper section of the speakers versus the bass

>section?

>

>I'm contemplating the purchase of a Rogue 90 for the top end

>and leave my AA-1800 on the bass. Does the Rogue have enough

>oomph for the task or will it see an early grave from being

>over driven?

I use 2ea Adcom GFA-555II Power amps. Each amp drives one speaker in a vertical bi-amp mode. One channel for the upper and the other for the bass. Very good results. As I recall the AR90 is a bit tricky to reconnect for bi-amping...

I choose to bi-amp in a horizontal mode. My rational was to increase voltage stability for the amp driving the upper section of the speakers by having one amp drive the bass section, the other the upper section. There are very few large power amps that regulate the rail voltage given the high DC potential sitting there; mine included.

Archived