AR-2's by Heathkit

Guest Chris in Tucson

Guest Chris in Tucson

I own a pair of AR-2 speakers that were marketed under the Heathkit name. Since they were marketed as a kit from Heathkit, they carry the model name of AS-2 instead of AR2.

I'm having problems with one of the 10" woofers popping when the bass is heavy. I'm the second owner of this wonderful pair of speakers as the original owner was a very close friend of the family until his death and I was able to obtain these speakers from him prior to his death as I always admired them since the 60's and he made sure I was the next owner of them.

Anyway, I want to keep the speakers as original as possible and need to find out if this woofer can be rebuilt or what my options are including a replacment as a last option. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Chris in Tucson

Hi, Chris

You may want to check out this Ebay auction ( Item number: 5783067599 ) and see if the woofer shown match your bad one in woofer cone, cloth surround and magnet structure. Otherwise you may have to look into the later version woofer with ferrite magnet with foam surround and a pre installed step down ring. Good Luck.

Minh Luong

Sounds like a lose spider. It can easily be reglued. The spider is the ring at the apex of the cone. It keeps the cone centered in the gap. Sometimes a part of this will come lose, and bang against the front of the magnet structure, making a rattling or buzzing noise.

Archived