AR-58 woofers

Guest Mad Machinist

Guest Mad Machinist

I have been lurking around and I have a pair of '58's that I dearly love...bought 'em in Germany in the early 80's......took 'em to Korea and now have 'em home here in GA.....but the band between the frame of the woofer and the cone has deterioated causing a very unpleasant distortion. Any suggestions on having them reconditioned....or some quality replacements....?

Thanks in advance

Rudy

>.but the band between the frame of the woofer and the cone has deterioated causing a very unpleasant distortion. <

Stop playing them immediately. The more you play them in this condition the more likely something bad will happen.

What your woofers need is commonly called "refoaming." This is much preferable to buying a replacement for several reasons I won't list unless you insist.

There are any number of people and places that will do this for you - for a fee. Not all "refoamers" are equal. Some will do a professional-looking job and it'll be awful. Some will do a great job and it'll look professional. Some will do a great job but it doesn't look so hot, and then there are those who can't seem to get anything right.

I have had very good work done by two places and bad work done by one; however I have only had *prompt*, good, work performed by one place. Millersound in PA. Millersound (215) 412-7700

Other places can do a good job, but this is the only place I feel comfortable recommending from personal experience.

Bret

Guest Mad Machinist

Thanks for your prompt reply.....and thanks for the suggestion of a place to have them repaired. I found a place in FL and some where in the northeast......but I prefer doing business with someone that has been recomended by a customer...I'm a small business owner myself and all of my advertising comes from word of mouth. Just means you have to try a little harder.

Thanks again,

Rudy

Archived