Yard sale find!

Guest charlieboy70

Guest charlieboy70

I was looking at yard sales today when I spotted a turntable. I pulled over and talked to a nice man and woman who said everything was free on the table. Well I brought home 2 Gerrard TT's and a 2 nice Acoustic Research 2a speakers. They still have the stickers and warranty cards on the backs.Doing some reading Im guessing they were made between 1960-64? Is this correct? How do I get in and take a look inside. There are no visible screws and the fabric fronts dont seem to be able to be removed either. I dont want to try anything till I spoke to you guys but they cleaned up nicely. No tears in the fabric and the both are oiled walnut. Thanks.:-)

Congrats!!

Give them a listen! Since this is the earlier 2a model, the woofers have cloth surrounds that do not deteriorate over time. Connect the speakers to your amplifier, and have a listen. The most common problem with these speakers are the mid and tweeter adjustments on the back. If there is no sound from the mids and tweeters, rotate the controls back and forth (under load) until they start working. If they do not start working, they are relatively easy to clean, but it does require disassembling the loudspeaker, which can be difficult at times.

Archived