AR 2ax tweeter differences

Guest tomgiffen

Guest tomgiffen

I am looking for input regarding the tweeters used in the 2ax over the years. My examples came with the 3/4" black domes, serial numbers in the range of 132,000. I have one dead tweeter. In looking for a replacement, I have encountered lots of the brown dome tweeters, but none of the black dome tweeters. Any thoughts regarding sonic differences would be welcome. I would also be interested in any input regarding modern replacements. Thoughts?

A serial number of 132,000 would be about 1970, shortly after AR changed to a foam surround woofer at serial number 125,000. I've not heard of any change to the tweeter in the 2ax during it's ten years of production......maybe other readers know of a change ?

>I am looking for input regarding the tweeters used in the 2ax

>over the years. My examples came with the 3/4" black domes,

>serial numbers in the range of 132,000. I have one dead

>tweeter. In looking for a replacement, I have encountered lots

>of the brown dome tweeters, but none of the black dome

>tweeters. Any thoughts regarding sonic differences would be

>welcome. I would also be interested in any input regarding

>modern replacements. Thoughts?

There were only two tweeters ever used in the AR-2a/AR-2ax series: the first was the 8-ohm 1-3/8-inch phenolic-dome version originally used from the early 1960s through the 1970 change and the black 8-ohm 3/4-inch hard-paper dome. Both of these tweeters used the foam suspension, and in the case of the 3/4-inch version, there would be three whitish (or now yellow) foam suspension points arranged around the dome, and a thin layer of clear butyl rubber around the edge of the dome to protect the voice coil from dirt. The wiring on this tweeter can either be the front-wired variety or in the last versions built, back-wired. If your dome is a different color, or shiny (such as a plastic dome or fabric dome), you have the wrong tweeter installed. In some cases the AR-11 or AR-9 or other tweeters were incorrectly installed, but you can immediately tell by the appearance of the dome.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/396.jpg

AR-3 1-3/8-inch phenolic-dome tweeter, identical in appearance to the AR-2a/AR-2ax dome tweeter prior to 1970

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/397.jpg

AR-3a 3/4-inch dome tweeter similar to the AR-2ax (after 1970) tweeter.

--Tom Tyson

Guest dogmeninreno

>I am looking for input regarding the tweeters used in the 2ax

>over the years. My examples came with the 3/4" black domes,

>serial numbers in the range of 132,000. I have one dead

>tweeter. In looking for a replacement, I have encountered lots

>of the brown dome tweeters, but none of the black dome

>tweeters. Any thoughts regarding sonic differences would be

>welcome. I would also be interested in any input regarding

>modern replacements. Thoughts?

I have some AR2ax 3/4" 8 ohm dome tweeters part# 1200013-1.If you are interested email me duffydog1234@sbcglobal.net I also have several of the brown dome units. Dale

Archived