Ooops... *crack* while playing AR17's

Guest Brian_D

Guest Brian_D

I was sewing my wild oats a bit last night with a new HT amplifier I purchased from work last night...

I was playing an audio track (C+C Music Factory "I've Found Love" is a great track for testing bass response... tons of low muffled tom then added a kick then added a bass synth, it's very demanding.) and I got to just about the limits of what I could stand in my smallish office and *CRACK* once from the right speaker.

Of course the Mute button was instantly applied, and I lowered the volume quite a bit. I listened to about 5 more tracks and nothing seemed to be out of place, but it would be difficult to tell after high-volume listening like that.

My question is how much damage could I have caused with that one crack? As I said, the speaker appears to play as well as before, but I want to know in this woofer design where the sound came from? VC bottoming? VC lead pulling? I'm not so familiar with the internals of this driver as I am with newer ones.

-Brian

Guest Brian_D

So no ill effects of this occurrence are noticed on your 2x's?

I was hoping that this may be the case (VC bottoming) since these woofers don't have much of a releif on the backplate... you never know, though. I've ripped VC leads off of subs before and it's a similar sound. (except they are usualy silent after that!)

Thanks for the advice.

Guest palomar

Brian,

I would agree that if you don't hear any problem, you are fine. I've bottomed out more than a few different speakers, and never had any side-effects. In most cases, the 'bang' sounds far worse than it actually is because the cone is amplifying the effect.

I once had a cheap old Radio Shack speaker, and I had modified the stiff paper suspension to make it more compliant. I ended up bottoming it out very loudly a number of times with no ill effect. Then I finally removed the cone just for the heck of it (we're talking about a $6 speaker). So now I just had the voice coil suspended by the spider. I wanted to see how loud the bottoming out would be now. To my surprise, it was just a quiet tapping sound.

Don't get me wrong - bottoming doesn't do a speaker any good. It is possible that the bottom of the voice coil former could get flattened enough to start rubbing in the gap. But I've never personally had any problems in any of my cases.

Gary

Archived