Acoustic Research AR12 speakers

Guest wsjoe

I went to a local pawn shop and found a pair of Acoustic Research AR12 (Teledyne) speakers. The foams on the mids or woofers were gone. I did find many places that sells kits and also provide refoaming service.

I think kits are usually 10-20 range.

Are these speakers worth getting them for $50 a pair and refoaming the drivers?

>Are these speakers worth getting them for $50 a pair and refoaming the drivers?<

Yes, but have Millersound or Tri-State Loudspeaker or some other specialty pro do the resurrounding. Not all surrounds are the same, not all methods are alike, not just any method will bring them back to spec and out-of-spec you might as well buy car speakers and stick 'em in a cardboard box. Just because you can do it yourself, and do it neatly, and do it per instructions, doesn't mean you're going to get the right result. That's going to come with time and experience (and the wherewithall to test).

A pair of 12's that started at $50, restored, could be a wonderful thing for about $150-200 worth of parts, repair, patience, and shipping.

Nirvana? Nah. Nirvana comes in great big, expensive, boxes. But in my opinion you'd definitely have "competent" and way more than you paid-for.

Bret

Bret,

Thank you for your helpful message.

I have refoamed a pair of Yamaha NS-690 woofers with kits from Decware. The parts were not that great, followed with great patience and care, but the end result was just ok. I lost a portion of the low frequency.

So I definitely agree with you.

The drivers that need refoamed are the mids. I believe they are 2-1/4".

Where should I purchase the foaming kits? I live near Los Angeles and in Orange County, there is OC speaker. I heard they do a decent job.

I would prefer doing myself, but who knows. I think these are pretty good speakers. I hear better things about the AR-9, AR-3 and AR-11. I have an older set of AR-2a, and needs woofers foamed too. anyways, I would appreciate your comments.

wsjoe@yahoo.com

wsjoe

I'm afraid I've commented about as much as I can. If you send the speakers for "resurrounding" by a pro, they will have the surrounds. If you use someone good, they will have the right surrounds. I'm not familiar with the folks there in CA, so cannot comment.

Bret

Archived