TSW-610 problem

Guest stockwes

Guest stockwes

I have a pair of tsw-610's. great speakers but the souround on one of the woofers is about half gone on one of them. I know very little about home audio eqipment/stores so i was wondering if i should replace the woofer or have it repaired.

My next question was where can i either get the replacment woofer or send the broken one to have it fixed?

thanks alot.

Hello there

It sounds like your speakers have foam rot. It's like dry rot but we have a positive solution for you.

When I make my comment I am assuming your speaker voice coils are not burnt or have not bottomed out and are rubbing.

Depending on your feeling about challenges you can order a replacement surround kit and re-do both of your speakers, not just the one, assuming they are the same age.

These kits usually contain 2 surrounds for your specific size and model of speaker, adhesive (special white glue), and maybe shims, spacers, new domes and an instruction sheet or video on "how to do it".

These kits are usually available on ebay or at your local speaker repair depot.

Generally expect to pay from maybe $15.00 US to $25.00 US per kit.

I am not the smartest kid on the block but about 10 years ago I ordered a set for my AR3a's.

The kit contained 2 surrounds, 2 suringes containing white glue and an instruction sheet only.

The first woofer took me 1 1/2 hours and the second 10 minutes.

You do it in steps and there is also drying time in between so it is best left to when you have a weekend free.

I did it without cutting out the dome, by glueing the surround to the speaker cone first then centering and tacking the perimeter.

By not cutting out the dome and using shims I may not have had the most perfect alignment but I was very careful and the speaker spider was very firm and not sagging.

I did use very, very, very low level sound while centering the cone. You can hear a buzz when you are rubbing off center. The woofers have quite a large gap unlike JBL's etc.

This was 10 years ago and they are still working flawlessly, I wish I could say the same about myself. lol

A professional would probably cut out the dome and re-glue a new dome and use the shims or business card stock between the voice coil and magnet to be absolutely centered.

I worked at the local AR warantee depot way back when and also have seen other skilled workers do repairs as well.

One friend I know removes the leads from the terminal posts and removes the spider and cone from the speaker to clean out the gap and actually see the conditon of the voice coil and form, a very thorough job at a small price.

The other alternative is to take the woofers to a local repair depot and for about $50.00 each or so have them supply and install new surrounds.

You don't need to haul the cabinets necessarily but just the woofers.

You should phone ahead and ask what they would like you to do.

They can test them on their bench, raw after completion.

Another option is to buy the kit from the local repair depot, with the understanding, that if when you get home, you find that the job is too intimidating, that you can return with the woofers and the un-used kits and they will install them for a known fee.

I had to mailorder my kit from the US because the one local repair place I went to here wouldn't sell me the surrounds outright. They only wanted to do the complete job themselves.

That was bad business, because if I screwed up with their kit I would return for them to do the repair plus buy another kit maybe.

There are mailorder repair people and I am sure someone viewing will come on board to advise you as to whom they are and maybe also whom not to as well.

There has been at least one negative comment and that was a speaker or pair was to be repaired and one year later they have not been returned. There may be more to this story but that is all I have read thus far.

Caveat Emptor

Hope this is of some help.

As time goes by this week you will see many good guys come forward to help you.

Good luck with your choices.

ps We could have done them both in less time than I rattled for. lol

>I have a pair of tsw-610's. great speakers but the souround

>on one of the woofers is about half gone on one of them. I

>know very little about home audio eqipment/stores so i was

>wondering if i should replace the woofer or have it repaired.

>

>My next question was where can i either get the replacment

>woofer or send the broken one to have it fixed?

>

>thanks alot.

Archived