Damaged AR18 Tweeter - Audibly Significant?

Rich W

I recently purchased a set of AR18's (The original "Truth in Listening" model) on ebay, both of which needed a woofer refoaming. The seller was not upfront in the listing however, and failed to disclose that one of the tweeters was damaged - it is 32 mm pressure high-range cone, and has a central dome. The central dome is pushed in, probably by prying fingers, and is now concave. I've refoamed the woofers and the speakers sound great, even with the damaged tweeter. My questions are:

1) What is the function of that central dome - is it just a dustcap, or does it aid in disbursion?

2) What if any theoretical sacrifice in sound can I expect to experience if I don't replace it?

3) Is there a way for me to repair it?

I have an opportunity to get a new factory replacement, which I'm told is manufactured for AR by another company, but I'm concerned it might not be an exact match sonically for the other "good" tweeter.

I purchased the AR18's based on my recollection of a friend's system from the late 70's. At the time, I felt the AR18's presented a much more realistic soundstage, not to mention a smoother high-end (particularly on massed strings) than the Large Advents I had at the time, even if they didn't reach as far down in the bass. My memory served me well - having just hooked the 18's up last week that "signiture sound" was well evident! The AR18's are IMHO one of the finest small speakers ever made. I just want my recent acquired pair to be in perfect working order!

Any guidance/opinions would be grealy appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich W

The dome is just a dust cap. It affects the sound slightly, and you might notice improved imaging if you pop it back out. Sometimes you can pull it out with a pin. Insert a pin slightly into the dustcap, and carefully pry until it pops back. I am assuming that the dustcap is paper, and not plastic. If it is plastic, there is not much you can do, except replace the tweeter, which is not really necessary.

Guest dogmeninreno

>The dome is just a dust cap. It affects the sound slightly,

>and you might notice improved imaging if you pop it back out.

>Sometimes you can pull it out with a pin. Insert a pin

>slightly into the dustcap, and carefully pry until it pops

>back. I am assuming that the dustcap is paper, and not

>plastic. If it is plastic, there is not much you can do,

>except replace the tweeter, which is not really necessary.

This idea may sound wierd but I have pulled many tweeter caps out by spaying water from a spray bottle on the cap and letting it set for a few minutes, then (here's the wierd part) sucking the dome out with your mouth! They don't taste that good but many will remember siphoning gas as a teen? Never tasted good but worked!! Good luck, Dale

Archived