scott 233 for driving 2ax's, good choice?

Guest grassulo

Guest grassulo

I'm going to be driving my 70s AR 2ax's (brown lacquered cloth tweeter versions) with an HH scott stereomaster 233 integrated amp, rated at 33 watts per channel rms, is this a good choice for driving these speakers? I'm running them right now with a 15wpc Harmon Kardon 330C reciever and they sound OK, but you can definitely tell its solid state based, really boxed in sound. Do any of you run your AR speakers using a tube amplifier like the scott, or should I stick to using solid state equipment with them and live with the sound? The output transformers on this scott are huge, only a bit smaller than the power supply transformer, it uses four 7591A's for its output stage.

I remember awhile back someone saying that these speakers, having been designed in the 1960's were designed using tube equipment and thus sounded better when run from those type of amps.

-Garret

Guest crazycat

I recently hooked my McIntosh 225 (25wpcw/7591 outputs ) to a set of AR-9's and was very impressed with the clairity and depth of the sound. It was a little shy of bass, but overall sounded excellent. Give the Scott a try you may be suprised.

As an individual who never liked tube amplifiers even though I lived in an eara before the first solid state amplifiers appeared on the market, I would have at least two concerns. Although AR2ax is not as power hungry as AR3 or AR3a, it benefits from substantial power reserves especially at low frequencies and an amplifier with a high damping factor. And although AR2ax has a flat on axis frequency response, its total power radiation does fall off at higher frequencies. It was either Tom or Ken who explained the apparant high end roll off of early AR speakers a while ago. Most tube amplifiers only exacerbate this tendency. They also don't have the flattest frequency response. Personally, for the best sound, I would select a fine high powered solid state amplifier, preferably one without an output autotransformer. If and when you do try the Scott 233, please let us know what your reaction is to it.

• 1 month later...

I have a Scott LK-48 which is a 222C in kit form. I use it with a pair of AR15s. Set up the tone controls the way you like and I think you will be astounded at the way they play. I Am not into all that stuff about Magic markers on your CD's and Million dollar interconnect cables.

I use a Sony Es CD player directly connected to the amp and I think it sounds sweet. Of course it will depend on what you feed it as to what you will get out of it. Like your computer, gargage in- garbage out! All in all I think it sounds very nice and I think you would also be pleased.

I just also picked up a set of Epicure model 5's and have them hooked up to a Heathkit W-M5 tube amp. The sound comes from nowhere and I must admit they sound great.

I say hook-um up and enjoy them! Good Luck.

Archived