AR3a/AR2ax Surrounds Quality

Guest old listener

Guest old listener

I have a pair each of AR3a and AR2ax speakers which need new surrounds. My intention is to replace them myself as I am reasonably competent at woodworking, mechanical, and electrical stuff.

The two websites I have been able to reach are Simply Speakers (SS) and Speaker Works Northwest (SWN).

Is there any significant difference in the quality of the surrounds offered by them?

I have seen numerous comments on the SS surrounds, but have noted NO comments concerning the SWN products.

I note that SWN offers surrounds with an angled inner edge, which would appear to make them easier to install. Comments I have seen about the SS’s seem to indicate a flat or even slightly reverse angled inner edge. Is the angled edge easier to install? Does this matter?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to which I should consider or if should consider a different source.

Appreciate any and all input,

Matt

Guest cbarsotti

hELLO,

tHERE'S A COMPANY CALLED AB TECH SERVICE IN MASS I BELEIVE, AND THEY HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL PARTS FOR THOSE SPEAKERS. i WOULD RATHER REPLACE THEM WITH THE ORIGINAL PARTS THAN TO RECONE THEM. YOU ALWAYS TAKE THE CHANCE ON LOSING YOUR ORIGINAL SOUND BY RECONING. GOOD LUCK THERE PHONE IS 1-800-225-9847

I've used Simply Speakers kits a couple of times in the past with good results (although I haven't done an AR speaker). Last night I tried a kit from Speaker Works Northwest (again, not on an AR). The quality and fit are about equal, and I think you'll be happy with either company. Both will supply an angled inner edge when appropriate. By all means, give it a shot.

Guest Pointwhere

Personally, I would get a pair of used woofers off ebay that have cloth surrounds. Especially for the 2ax, they are cheap to come by (probably cheaper than a refoam) and you'll never have to worry about the surrounds again. Here is a link to one auction running now, although I see them on Ebay quite frequently...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&category=50597&item=5721153699&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Hope this helps...

Archived