Aquired a pair of AR-3's now what?

Double_D

Firstly hello CSPDF!  First post here.  I know these AR-3's are supposed to sound great, and have a great following among the collectors of these early AR's. A guy I work with just loaded them into my suv today at work as I have a back on the mend, herniated L5 disk and shouldn't be lifting these heavy dudes. We agreed tentatively on a modest price, he needed the room more than anything.  I am very new to vintage stereo scene but have a keen eye and ear, so I believe.  I will do my best to get some pictures uploaded this evening, should I even try to put music to them at this stage of the game??  I've never restored a set of speakers but I am in the process of getting a pair of "The NEW ADVENT" Large drivers re coned professionally, got those a couple weeks back.  I am thinking if someone has some interest I would sell them on as I have limited speaker restoration experience. I did notice the do not have proper grills but an open cell type brown foam in 2" x 3/4" rectangle block(s)repeating pattern which is surely not correct. Cabinets are in rough condition(scuffs and scrapes) by my best estimate but tweets, mids, and mains look quite nice.

Should I try to listen to them?

I have a Pioneer sx-980 that produces 80wpc into 8ohm and can go down to 4 ohm load.  Thanks so much for the expert direction I know I will find the guidance I need 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, Double_D said:

I have a Pioneer sx-980 that produces 80wpc into 8ohm and can go down to 4 ohm load. 

Hey, Double_D, and welcome to the forum. The sx-980 is rated at 95wpc into 4 ohms, and assuming the receiver is fully functional, should provide plenty of juice for your speakers.

Your speakers look very nice. Regarding date of production, some members here might be able to provide a good guesstimate based on s/n, but it is not uncommon to find date stamps somewhere on the backside of the drivers. Before proceeding with any level of restoration efforts on your AR-3's, you'd be well served by reading through the entire restoration guide for the AR-3a. This document also has a great deal of specific info on the model 3, and many of the components and procedures described have application to many of the classic AR speaker models.