the best suitable amp for AR-2ax, AR-3a

Guest Yaron Miro

Guest Yaron Miro

I want to upgrade my stereo system by replacing the amp

I can't afford to spend a lot of money, let's say somthing around

200-400 dollars for the amp.

I'm currently running my setup with a "QED a204 cd amp" - connected

in pre-out to a Yamaha rxv-1000 reciver.

It would realy help if I could recive an acuriate and specific info about: brand, model and even some sort of money evluation of the amp.

I live in Israel and there aren't many stores that sell vintage audio equipment so I belive I will have to turn to sites like e-bay in order to find the amp, Can I trust e-bay and buy from there ?

Thank's a lot for anyone who will help

I know this is a bit out of your price range, but not by much. Its an Adcom GFA-5300. Its $499. It is 125 watts per channel into 4 ohms and 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It is a great sounding amp. I have the GFA-5400, which is the same, just a bit more powerfull, and I really like it. These amps have very large power supplies, and heatsinks, so they are very capable of driving the difficult loads that the vintage AR speakers present.

You can purchace the Adcom GFA-5300 here http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisti...umbs=1&Filter=0

It's fortunate you live in "The Holy Land" because that is a good place to pray for a miracle. Just kidding. But "best" and "cheap" are two words that don't usually go together and $400 for an amplifier today is not big money. You have a tough problem. AR3a is an electrical load many amplifiers don't like. It requires a lot of clean power especially at low frequencies and and amplifier with excellent stability connected to very low impedence loads. The key to getting what you want will probably be to buy used. I'd look for something like a Hafler DH-220 or larger, or a large Marantz receiver such as a 2285 or a 2335. Would I trust a total stranger on e-bay to represent his wares accurately and ship it half way around the world with no recourse if he doesn't? I wouldn't. That's not to say all or even most sellers on e-bay aren't honest but you are taking a real gamble and if you get burned you are probably out of luck.

There is one amplifier you can buy new near your price range which will easily drive your speakers and that is Crown CE-1000. I have no experience with this amplifier and I can't tell you how it sounds, however Crown is highly regarded among professionals and with very good reason. It's offered at Parts Express for $450 including shipping, has gobs of power and is virtually bulletproof. However, I don't think that includes shipping to Israel and I don't even know if they will ship to Israel under any circumstances.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&D...bPage_ID=133#ce

Their web page has an 800 phone number or you can contact them on the internet.

Good luck.

Guest dogmeninreno

>I want to upgrade my stereo system by replacing the amp

>I can't afford to spend a lot of money, let's say somthing

>around

>200-400 dollars for the amp.

>I'm currently running my setup with a "QED a204 cd amp" -

>connected

>in pre-out to a Yamaha rxv-1000 reciver.

>It would realy help if I could recive an acuriate and specific

>info about: brand, model and even some sort of money evluation

>of the amp.

>

>I live in Israel and there aren't many stores that sell

>vintage audio equipment so I belive I will have to turn to

>sites like e-bay in order to find the amp, Can I trust e-bay

>and buy from there ?

>

>Thank's a lot for anyone who will help

>

>

I would head for the Adcom GFA 545 or 555 II. Check out the sellers feedback on eBay and you have a good chance of getting what is advertised. Also escrow is offered as an option in some auctions. Remember that you will need a tuner and a preamp unless you plan on using your Yamaha for these functions. Here is a link to an Adcom currently listed on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Good luck, Dale

Guest Nigel

I second Dale's suggestion: Adcom 545, 545 II, 555 or 555 II.

I have a 545 II powering my AR91.5 speakers; it does quite well. My AR9 speakers are vertically bi-amp'd using the amplifier sections of Onkyo TX8500 (1976 vintage) receivers - which have about the same performance.

For AR speakers, look for amplifiers with big heavy powersupply transformers, big capacitors, very high damping factors, and the ability to drive very low impedance loads.

Archived